NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CTD Preparation Tips - New Format By Coding (since April 2020)

CTD has changed from multiple choices to a 4-hour coding format since April 2020. I hope this post opens up the discussion of preparation tips for the exam, and I will share mine first. See the attachment.

First of all, please refer to the official site for the exam guideline and sample exam:

https://education.ni.com/badges/resources/1259/certified-teststand-developer-ctd

Hope it helps!

Message 1 of 8
(2,868 Views)

I will take the test this year and I am trying to find all the information as possible. Thank you for your tips.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,719 Views)

@hongcc1 wrote:

CTD has changed from multiple choices to a 4-hour coding format since April 2020. I hope this post opens up the discussion of preparation tips for the exam, and I will share mine first. See the attachment.

First of all, please refer to the official site for the exam guideline and sample exam:

https://education.ni.com/badges/resources/1259/certified-teststand-developer-ctd

Hope it helps!

I recommend you all download the PDF from @hongcc1 and read it carefully.  Very well done!!!

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,702 Views)

Hi, I have tried answering the given Sample Exam but I've been having problems regarding the error handling part when the test fixture is not initialized properly.

Could you help me with this part?

I tried looking at the solution but there was no error handling in the sequence.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,638 Views)

Did any one reply to this message?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,284 Views)

If referring to the solution, it's also not clear how this is implemented. Just from my guess, it could be implemented this way:

• When the code modules return a run-time error, by default, it will prompt a dialog message. This default setting is defined in the Configure >> Station Options >> On Run-Time Error: Show Dialog Box.
  • Usually, this is fine. But if you want to just ignore an error of a certain step, this can be configured in the Step Settings. Properties >> Run Options >> Ignore Run-Time Errors (set to true, by default is false)

hongcc1_1-1636792844663.png

• So now, the error dialog box will not be prompted. But when you run the step, the result of the step is still marked as Error.

hongcc1_2-1636792985379.png

• However, it will continue to run the rest of the steps, this is an undesired behavior. We configure the error step not to continue but jump to certain by setting Step Settings >> Post Actions. Since this step is a Action step, pass and fail conditions are not applied. We will use "Custom Conditions" and set the condition to check if the Step.Result.Status == "Error". On condition true, jump to the Additional Result step that the requirement written in the sample question. Else go next step.

hongcc1_3-1636793517736.png

• To configure the "Additional Result if Error" step to run only when the Setup step is an error, go to configure its Preconditions, use the Precondition Builder, select the Setup step to observe if this is an error. This is how it looks:

hongcc1_4-1636793919197.png

hongcc1_5-1636794059549.png

• Then, in the Additional Results step, just use your way to record test fixture initialization is failed. This is how I do:

hongcc1_6-1636794510617.png

• But, because the run-time error is ignored, the test sequence will appear as passed. What we can do is add Post-Expression to the Additional Result step, such that RunState.SequenceFailed = True. This Post-Expression will only run when the pre-condition is true.

hongcc1_7-1636795551127.png

This is how the report will look like when error:

hongcc1_8-1636795599420.png

Anyway, I am not sure if this is correct. In real practical application, I think the Additional Result Step is a redundant thing to do since the error message will be recorded when the Setup step has an error. If I must not prompt any dialog, then choose to Ignore Run-time Error at the step, force SequenceFailed to true, and then jump to the end of the sequence. This code is just for your reference. Hope it helps.

Message 6 of 8
(2,269 Views)

EasonWang_0-1644761599872.png

Hi Guys, I meet one problem when I try to practice sample exam. After setup dll file and set code module in search folder, solution sequence can't be executed. After click run "main sequence", error will report as attached file. Is there any point I don't set correctly?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,102 Views)

can you help me?

the zip file location  should select where?   

The NI :

“Our Grading Team reviewed your CTD exam files and we regret to inform you that there was not any exam submission to grade in the folder labeled Exam on the virtual machine.“”

xin
Certified LabVIEW Architect (CLA)
Certified TestStand Architect (CTA)
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(509 Views)