From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Button in LV Operator Interface to Run Specific Test Sequence

I hope this is clear...

I have a cluster of boolean controls that I placed on the front panel of the Full Feature LV OI.  I would like to associate each of these buttons with a specific subsequence in the main test sequence so that the subsequence is run when the button is clicked. 

To make things more complicated, there are several clusters and each cluster (of controlls) is associated with a specific Test Socket.  I use the Parallel process model with several test sockets. 

Basically what I'm fishing for is some help on creating the callbacks necessary to achieve this functionality.
I understand the Full LV OI to a sufficient extent but this here is very confusing and I've only been able to find some token examples/documentation about how to add controlls to the LV operator interface. 

Please let me know if you need more information.

Thank you for reading,
Adam
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,248 Views)
Hi Adam,

If I understand your question correctly, you basically want to control the flow of your Main sequence for each of the Test Sockets in a Parallel Model.
Trying to do this from the operator interface itself is somewhat tricky, and not ideal. A better approach would be to control the flow from the Main Sequence of each Test Socket.
Within the Main Sequence of each of your Test Sockets, you could call a LabVIEW module that will request from the operator which subsequence to execute in that Test Socket. In that way, you control which subsequences are executed in each of your Test Sockets.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

Thanks Adam, have a good one.

Dan Weiland
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Dan Weiland
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,226 Views)

Hey Dan.. Thanks for the reply.  You did answer my question somewhat. 

A little more about what I need: 
I do plan to run the main sequence from the operator interface in the normal manner most of the time.  However, for debugging purposed, I need to be able to exclusively run each individual test, using the button.  (I've attached the conroller just for the visual reference) 

The Big Picture:
You said it was tricky and not ideal to control flow of main sequence in each test socket from the OI.  Rather than controlling the "flow", I just want to start each test socket execution using the "start auto test" button.  I also want the flexibility of executing each step individually.  I think that running the individual step will be easy - just create an execution, run the step, then destroy the execution - but how do I specify the Test Socket.  For that matter, how do you specify the test socket of any execution within either the sequence editor or the OI?  Parameters within the main sequence are dependent on the test socket so this is critical.

It seems that I'm just emulating the behavior of the Test UUT dialog box, except for the bit about the individual executions.  Is this going to be tricky?

I have tech support so maybe I should just call ni and discuss all this.  There are too many subtleties. 

Thanks for the advice.    Adam
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,215 Views)

I did talk to phone support from NI.  Solution is not certain but still in progress.

Basically I now have a very specific question. 

With 4 buttons in a LV OI, how can you inform the process model which test socket to run the main sequence of tests on?

Again, using the parallel process model and I'm pretty sure you have to use the TestUUT entry point. 

Goal is interactive execution of parallel test sockets, just like the default TestUUT dialog popup, except I want the controls to be LV OI buttons and I do not want to see the default popup.

Adam

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,208 Views)

Hi,

This example

http://sine.ni.com/apps/we/niepd_web_display.display_epd4?p_guid=B45EACE3DDEB56A4E034080020E74861&p_...

at this link may be of help. Its was written around the old stype of OI.

Regards

Ray Farmer

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,203 Views)

Hi Adam,

Essentially to accomplish what you'd like to do, you would need to edit the actual Operator Interface, as well as the Parallel Process Model code itself.

You can see the code of the Parallel Process Model in C:\Program Files\National Instruments\TestStand 3.1\Components\NI\Models\TestStandModels.

Most of the code here is actually CVI code, so if you wanted to use specific LabVIEW VIs you had created, you would need to go through the Parallel Process Model and ensure you had replaced all the appropriate pieces of the model with your LabVIEW code, and that it interfaced with the rest of the process model code appropriately.

In short, you can accomplish what you are attempting, however it would be quite a difficult and time consuming endeavor.

Thanks Adam, have a good one!

Dan Weiland
Applications Engineer
National Instruments

Dan Weiland
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,181 Views)
Thanks for posting everyone,

I think Dan is right in saying this would be complicated.  I think for now I'll use the default TestUUT popup to start the test sockets and then use the custom indicators on my OI to observe progress. 

Eventually I do want to edit the process model but since school starts in two weeks, I think I better get the system working smoothfly first. 

Your advice has been appreciated!

Adam
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,165 Views)