NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practice to initialize my instruments

I wonder what is the best practice to initilize instruments on test stand.

i have a vi that will ready a INI configuration file and map my instruments  and will output  a cluster(DMM, Scope, etc..)

so when starting the sequence on pre UUT i will load that ini file and pass it to some local variables.(dmm, scope, function generator etc..).

the question is here. is it better to initialize every instrument on the sequence one by one, or is it better to make a vi and initialize everything on one vi.

or do a call to a sequence where i initialize all step by step?

just some random thoughts but i wonder what is the best practice.

CLAD, CTD
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,561 Views)

I initialize each instrument in a special sequence in TestStand.  Seems a little easier to maintain my drivers that way.  It is also a little cleaner than doing a state machine or sequence everything with an error cluster in LabVIEW.

Of course, I also have each instrument with its own routine to read the configuration file and initialize the driver/instrument.  So I just have to pass the configuration file around inside of TestStand.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,553 Views)

Hi,

In general I think there's less consensus on "best practices" in TestStand than in LabVIEW.

It is ok to load that ini file and pass it to some local variables.(dmm, scope, function generator etc..).

It is poor form to initialize all the instruments in one VI. By separating them you can debug by stepping through the TestStand sequence, and you generally get better reuse, and fewer big, complex VIs. It's more readable.

It's good to have a sub sequence containing the things above. You could easily move it, for example from PreUUT to MainSequence setup.

cc

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,512 Views)

thank you for your answers..

i end up initializing one by one. is more visual to an operator to know where is failing or if they miss to connect a usb module or something else.

a usefull thing is that i can save those steps and save them on the templates...next program is just drag and drop.

🙂

CLAD, CTD
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,484 Views)