NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Labview Object References valid in TestStand?

Hi

Here is the setup:

LV 2011: LVProject>>MainVI  : MainVI is based on user events, as well as producer/consumer frameworks, with queues used  to orchestrate which state/action is going to take place. It works fine. Some of the actions are also controlled with user-defined register events, so that a basic LV script can programmatically trigger some of these events. No problem here.

To get things a little more exciting, we want to incorporate TestStand2011 in the setup. In this case, we would have Testand calling small Labview VIs (LVProject>>SmallVIs), some of  which could act on MainVI.

However, It appears that LAbVIEW object references obtained in MainVI, appear invalid once the SmallVIs are called from Testand, while being ok when they are run on their own from Labview (for testing the small VIs). From reading other threads, it sounds like the issue is having TestStand and LAbview vis running in different application instances....

So how to get around this ? Basically I would like to use any object reference from the MainVI into my SmallVIs once invoked by Teststand. The references can be brought into the SmallVIS by several means, network variables being one candidate.

Thx,

LDBM.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,763 Views)

Note to self: Maybe some kind of possible answer in this older thread.

Still need help on this though. Thanks.

L.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,753 Views)

Unless you are launching the MainVI from TestStand you are talking about inter-process communication at this point.  Not sure if you can even access memory space like that but you can use a TestStand queue named with a * at the beginning to do some inter-process communication.

http://www.ni.com/example/30108/en/  Here is an example.

Like I said though.  Not sure if a reference passed accross it like that will work.

Regards,

Sam

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,731 Views)

Thx Sam for the feedback. 

I am going to test launching the MainVI asynchronously from TestStand, as it must be running continously and independantly of the other TestStand sequences that may or may not act on it...

L.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,724 Views)

Threw together a simple example.  Here is another way you could do it.

Hope this helps.  Let me know if you have any quesitons.

Just extract the contents of the zip file to the same folder and run the sequence file.

Thanks,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
Message 5 of 8
(4,717 Views)

Thx Sam, that helps. I am going to have to experiment a bit more with this versus the TestStand Queue...

L. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,709 Views)

You could send the sequence context through the Queues as well.

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,703 Views)

I think maybe I misunderstood the question so removing my previous response, sorry.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,686 Views)