From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow only one instance of TestStand

Solved!
Go to solution

Our testbenches run the Simple TestStand UI. We have it very often that an operator presses TestUUTs more than once. This causes very much troubles for us because TestStand runs a second or even a third time the sequencefile, and then the serial numbers and our measurement database are totally messed up.

Is it possible to allow only one instance of TestStand? Or can i disable the TestUUTs button if it is pressed the first time?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,509 Views)

Yes and yes.

These are two different questions.

For the first, when launching TestStand, use the testexec.exe /useExisting flag in any shortcuts you create.

For the second Simple TestStand UI, there are a couple of ways that I can think of to do this:

1. Edit the process Model Entry Points sequences to change the Sequence Properties - On the Models tab, change the Entry Point Enabled Expression to use a File Global "NotRunningFlag" to only enable if this flag is set to true.

2. Modify the source to add the TSUI__ApplicationMgrEventsRegOnStartExecution and TSUI__ApplicationMgrEventsRegOnEndExecution that get called when executions start and stop and use these to enable and disable the entry point buttons.

Hope this Helps.

-Jack

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,500 Views)

Captain_Jack,

I have just recently ran into the same issue as stated above.

Can you elaborate on your solution with a step by step? (I am very unfamiliar with TestStand ActiveX controls)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,799 Views)

This YouTube video is my exact problem except I am not using LabView, I am using LabWindows/CVI. Do you know the equivalent solution LabWindows/CVI? Specifically I am using LabWindows/CVI 8.1 and TestStand 4.0.

Much appreciated!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,771 Views)

@IanChristiansen wrote:

This YouTube video is my exact problem except I am not using LabView, I am using LabWindows/CVI. Do you know the equivalent solution LabWindows/CVI? Specifically I am using LabWindows/CVI 8.1 and TestStand 4.0.

Much appreciated!

I have never had a chance to program CVI. But looking at source code of a NI example of Simple GUI  (TestExec.c) shipped with TS2017 it seems it would take 2 steps to implement it. 

1. Registration of ActiveX events OnStartExecution  and OnStartExecution. You need to add it in the same way as OnExitApplication 

// register ActiveX control event callbacks
	errChk( TSUI__ApplicationMgrEventsRegOnExitApplication(gMainWindow.applicationMgr, 		ApplicationMgr_OnExitApplication, NULL, 1, NULL));

2. Processing callback events. In you case add functions for processing of OnStartExecution  and OnStartExecution .  Implementation for OnExitApplication:

// the ApplicationMgr control sends this event when it is ok to exit the application.
// discard any handles to TestStand objects here at the latest
HRESULT CVICALLBACK ApplicationMgr_OnExitApplication(CAObjHandle caServerObjHandle, void *caCallbackData)
{
	CA_DiscardObjHandle(gMainWindow.engine);
	gMainWindow.engine = 0;

ExitApplication();		
	return S_OK;
}

Inside of those function you need to use these 3 handles to enable/disable buttons:

gMainWindow.entryPoint1Btn
gMainWindow.entryPoint2Btn
gMainWindow.runSelectedBtn

I hope this will be useful.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,755 Views)