NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding custom UI indicators to the TestStand UI

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello! I'm sure that this has been asked before but I cannot really find what I'm looking for. I have a TestStand sequence that contains a loop cycle testing the parts many times. I would like to show on the user interface a pass fail count for each part based on the sequences current state (real time display). the parts may run 1000 times or more and the UI should show the count for each plus a LED to show if the part is still active.

What is the best method to do something like this? UI messaging? if so how would i implement the messages and have a counter value for each part? Would each part have its own unique message?

Thanks for any help you can give me. If you could provide a quick example.

Bill

Bill Lewis
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(4,638 Views)

Bill,

UI Messages are the best way to do this.  If you aren't familiar with UI Messages then read these:

http://www.ni.com/tutorial/4532/en/

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-20423

How many parts will be executing at once?  Maybe you can have an array of leds and status strings on the UI? 

UI Messages have multiple parts: string, numeric, event code, activex param.  You can send as much info as you want if you send it as a container through the activex param.  So you need to determine what exactly you want to send each time the sequence needs to update the UI.

For instance you could send:

String: Formated status information (e.g. UUT 14567 Loop 15 of 10000)

Numeric: Socket Index (e.g. 3)

Then on the UI side  you could look at the numeric and assign the string to the FP string control.

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(4,630 Views)

I will have up to 24 parts total that will be testing

Bill Lewis
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(4,626 Views)

@~jiggawax~ wrote:

Bill,

Maybe you can have an array of leds and status strings on the UI? 

This is what i think i would like an array and strings for the numbers of pass fail.

Bill Lewis
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(4,625 Views)

Accidental post, sorry.

Steven Gloor
Staff Customer Engineer - CTA, CLD
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(4,623 Views)

Is your UI written in LabVIEW?  If so are you basing it on the simple or full featured?

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(4,612 Views)

I'm using LabView. I'm going to use the simple UI and maybe add a cluster containing the array of booleans and the pass fail counters. Is that the corrrect method? Can I just add a cluster or should it be a special TestStand object?

Bill Lewis
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(4,592 Views)

I will have a multi numeric daq that will read all the 24 voltage values of the UUT's. I will evaluate them and then i would like to send the pass fail status for all and increment a pass fail count based on the status of each. This will be the data i need to send back to the UI to display.

Can i send this all at once with one message or should this be 24 messages?

So each loop of the test should send the message data after the DAQ read to the UI

Bill Lewis
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(4,590 Views)

Bill,

maybe this is of interest for you....

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(4,587 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bill_Lewis

Not sure what version of LabVIEW and TestStand you have but I threw together a little demo of what you want.  Just run the TopLevel.vi and then open the sequence in the zip file.

These are in LV 2014 and TS 2014.

Regards,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
Message 10 of 14
(4,570 Views)