From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ActiveX Automation Server missing in TestStand

Hi there,

we have an existing LabVIEW Application which is using ActiveX to control testing equipment and want to switch over to TestStand.

Yet, in TestStand, the Active X server is not available in the Dropdown box for specifying it. In LabVIEW it is.

Do I need a special registration for TestStand? Any Adapter Settings to be made?

Cheers

Oli

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(753 Views)

Some additional information:

the ActiveX Server in question is a kind of driver for a very complex test bench.

It is initially installed/registered by calling the appropriare EXE with a /regserver argument.

In order to use the driver, you hav to start the EXE alongside the actual testprogram .

I am no expert on ActiveX, so forgive me if I sound stupid: the TestStand documentation refers to in- and out-of -process servers

So in my case, this could be an out-of-process server. Would this explain, that the server isn't available to choose from in TestStand as long as the EXE is not running? I can't try this in real life at the moment, since the EXE will return an error without the hardware connected (I don't have access to it at the moment).

But why would it be available in LabVIEW though the EXE is not running... 

Manually specifying the tlb file in LabVIEW lets you choose objects, in TestStand an error occurs:

Oli_Wachno_0-1678973579202.png

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(730 Views)

It sounds like there might be something unusual in that tlb that TestStand is not expecting. Can you submit a bug report to NI with the .tlb file?

Message 3 of 6
(719 Views)

Done, let's see what happens 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(685 Views)

did you ever get a resolution to this? encountering something similar now when trying to deploy test stand projects...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(16 Views)

Eventually we placed a Service Request... the solution was wrapping the ActiveX code in LabVIEW and call the LabVIEW wrapper from TestStand.

We never found out if the offender is TestStand or the ActiveX driver software in question. 

Not very nice though.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(10 Views)