From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ActiveX Automation Error When Printing Report

TestStand 2010 SP1

Using TestStand Integrated Automatic Printing when printing a test report, somtimes we get the following ActiveX Automation Error -2147023169 "Unknown Error" and TestStand hangs.

Error

The only way to get the test working again is to reboot the PC

Thanks

Bill

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,539 Views)

Hello Bill,

Thanks for joining the forums.

This is an unusual error as it appears the problem is with ActiveX rather than TestStand itself. There is an example piece of code online that demonstrates how to programmatically print TestStand reports using ActiveX. I would also ensure that you are using the latest version of Internet Explorer if you are using an up to date version of LabVIEW.

For further assistance do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards

David B
Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,524 Views)

Hi

I have recently installed the NI Developer Suite 2011 on a PC with win 7 and tryed to use the Automatic Printing Suppor feature fomr NI but it givesm me an error when trying to print the report.   I am wondering if this add-on featrue will work with Win 7, or do you have an update for this to work with Win 7

Thanks

Bill

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,330 Views)

Hi

I have recently installed the NI Developer Suite 2011 on a PC using Win 7 and tryed to use the NI TestStand Modular Automatic Printing add-on, but it gives me the following error when trying to print the report:  

"The type library information for 'Microsoft XML, version 2.0' was not found.

Make sure the server is registered with the system."

I read that the TestStand Modular Automatic Printing add-on uses the DOMDocument Class of the Microsoft XML COM automation server.  Is this the problem with using Win 7?

Thanks

Bill

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,326 Views)

Hi Bill

Thanks for your post. I'm not sure about this error you're having. From my research it is something that's come up before. I'm am however unsure if this is a Windows 7 issue. This document on the best practices for report generation in TestStand should be of use to you:

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/8289/en

Let me know what you think. I'll have another look into if this is a Windows 7 only issue. 

Many thanks

Daniel Harryman

NI Applications Engineer 

Daniel Harryman MEng
CLA, CPI
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,288 Views)

Hi

Looking into printing test reports from TestStand using a Win 7 PC.  I reviewed the article below and would like to try it out.  However, I am not sure how to get the version of MS XML and the IXMLDOMDocumentX version referenced in the Note section.

Thanks

Bill

Programmatic Printing of TestStand Reports - Modular

Publish Date: Feb 27, 2013 | 1 Ratings | 4.00 out of 5 | Print | Submit your review

Overview

This example code allows you to automatically print your testing routine reports after every test, when the test fails, when the test passes, or never.

TestStand does not have a option that allows the user to automatically print their test reports.  This example provides a sequence file containing two sequences that first converts an XML report to an html file, if necessary.  It then uses the Internet Explorer ActiveX server to print the html report.  This pair of sequences will print all four types of TestStand reports, and is configurable to only print when desired.  These sequences have been designed with modularity in mind, so that they should be able to be taken in their current form and placed in any process model that generates test reports.  Also, because of this modularity, you can use only the XML conversion sequence if you wish to only convert your XML document to an html document, although this is not covered in the readme.  For a more integrated approach, see the example program "Programmatic Printing of TestStand Reports".

To use this example, unzip the contents of printingsupport.zip and follow the instructions in the readme file.

Note: If you are using Windows 7, the ActiveX/COM steps ("Load the XML Report", "Load the StyleSheet", "Transform XML to HTML") in the subsequence titled "Convert XML report to HTML" may not have a reference to the correct Automation Server. Please check this subsequence and make sure that you are referencing the Automation Server "Microsoft XML, vX.X (Ver X.X)", where X.X is the version number of the Microsoft XML Automation Server on your Windows 7 machine. Also, ensure that the Object Class is DOMDocument (IXMLDOMDocumentX) where X is the version of the Object Class specified in the Module Settings. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,698 Views)