From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASAM XIL-API V2.0.0

Hi,

by the end of last year ASAM XIL standard was released. It was formerly known as ASAM HIL.

With it you are able to have a standardised interface from testautomation tool to HIL-systems.
Is it planned to implement XIL in TestStand as default step-type, like IVI or even a built-in one ?

As National Instrumtens is working as member on the standard, i would like to know what
NI is planning on other products that use XIL.

If some NI members are from Germany, i would like to get in contact with them, just to get more
information about the new standard.

Regards

Juergen

--Signature--
Sessions NI-Week 2017 2016
Feedback or kudos are welcome
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(8,052 Views)

Hey Juergen,

I'm not sure what our plans are for implementing the standard at this time, but this seems like a great idea to post on the TestStand Idea Exchange forum. This is the best way for our R&D team to track these ideas for inclusion in future versions of TestStand.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(7,957 Views)

Hi Daniel,

is there anything new?

Please follow the link to get more information about
https://wiki.asam.net/display/STANDARDS/ASAM+XIL

Regards

Juergen

--Signature--
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(7,082 Views)

Hi Daniel

I just found a page that say NI TestStand will provide a service ?!?!

http://www.asam.net/nc/home/standards/standard-detail.html?tx_rbwbmasamstandards_pi1%5BshowUid%5D=25...

Screen1.jpg

Regards

Juergen

--Signature--
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(7,080 Views)
Hi Jürgen,
Teststand itself will not provide a service. But it is a product which is compatible with the ASAM Hil and Xil standart.
Please note that the page says ASAM member Products AND services. A service would be NI Veristand where we also offer Hil API in our community.
As you might know, ASAM Xil is a library written in C# and therfor compatible with Teststand through .NET Adapter.
Please let me know if you're interested in Xil Teststand Step Types. So far we do not have them, because ASAM XIL API is still in the maintenance phase. But it would be possible to offer them to customers in the future.
Best Regards,
Philip
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(6,847 Views)

Hi Philip,

thanks for posting. Currently I am working with the XIL standart 2.0.0 unless i know there is a new update 2.0.1 available, but these fixes are not important for me at the moment. The huge difference between HIL and XIL is the Framework api. This allows me to create completly vendor independent teststeps and testsequence for my testautomation tool, which is Ni-TestStand, of course. The first mockup is running pretty well.

By the end of November 2014 there was 7. Vector-Informatik Congress, which i attended. There was a presentation about XIL.

http://vector.com/portal/medien/cmc/events/commercial_events/VectorCongress_2014/VeCo14_26Nov14_MARI...

Part 4 is dealing with crosstest and NI was involved, too. For me it would be very interesting who/how has written the NI-Teststand stuff for the crosstests.

Maybe we might get in contact, because i am of the opinion reinventing the wheel twice is quite bad.

Regards

Juergen  

--Signature--
Message 6 of 10
(6,835 Views)

Hi Jurgen,

It’s been 5 years since the last post. Do you know if it is possible to use the ASAM XIL API in LabVIEW without any wrappers? Have you tried it?

Thanks.

Luis CT
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,774 Views)

Hi Luis,

there were quite some efforts around NI improving the support for ASAM XIL. The recent versions of VeriStand do come with an ASAM XIL framework implementation as well as ASAM XIL TestStand steps. Also most of MA and EES port are covered.

As for LabVIEW there are currently no XIL API VIs provided. Right now you'd need to create your own wrapper using the XIL .NET calls.

What is your use case and how would you want that LabVIEW wrapper to look like?

Best regards

Andreas

Andreas Stark
LabVIEW Lead @ Rocket Factory Augsburg
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,761 Views)

Hi Andreas.

Thanks for your replay. I want to communicate with Vector CANoe using XIL. I checked the help related to this topic in CANoe and tried to emulate the Python client code that comes with the examples, but I get an error right after I open the .NET assembly:

XIL in LV.png

Luis_CT_0-1596571599618.png

I tried to investigate if the error had to do with a necessary .NET constructor but none of the XIL classes require one. Maybe is a dumb error and I’m forgetting to initialize something but I cant get pass thought this initial step. So I thought perhaps there is an official API similar to TestStand and VeriStand.

Thanks

Luis CT
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,757 Views)

Hi Luis,

from the error message it looks like the issue is raised in Vector's implementation of the XIL API.

I did a quick check on Vector's example from "Sample Configurations 12.0.101\IO_HIL\XIL API\CANoe as Server\Python Client". The only obvious thing is if you used LV 32 or 64. There is a comment in the example about using IronPython and 32 bit did you try using "CANoe32" as product name. Also did you try to run the python example to see if that works with exactly these parameters?

"# Note: if using IronPython 32 bit change "CANoe64" to "CANoe32" (this has nothing to do with the CANoe version but the python interpreter version you use!)"

Other than that I can only encourage you to do a dummy test using e.g. VeriStand XIL server or following up with Vector's support for checking what goes wrong when creating the MAport.

I published an example how to instantiate a VeriStand EES port here just for reference and comparison: http://www.ni.com/tutorial/55266/en/

Hope you'll be able to resolve that issue quickly

Andreas

Andreas Stark
LabVIEW Lead @ Rocket Factory Augsburg
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,723 Views)