From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand Idea Exchange

Community Browser
Top Authors
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post an idea

When assigning a type to a property, the list of types is in an unordered pile. In the next release, can someone please alphabetize it?

(PS. Do not ask about the context of this image. It's not pretty. 😏 )

PileOTypes.png

Currently, if you create a step type and name it OnNewStep, it will execute when an instance of the step is created.  This is pretty confusing to new users - why don't we just have an OnNewStep substep type (like prestep, edit, etc)? Custom steps would then just be meant to be called manually using the Step.ExecuteSubstep() Method as documented in the help.

onNewStep.png

We could keep the "onNewStep" custom step functionality to maintain backwards compatibility with older step types. 

Hi,

I have a table in file globals (2D array).

Each column of the table has an associate variable in file global.

For i want my custom step to run N time which is the number of rows in the table.

In each iteration, i want to take each value of the row and assign the value to the asscoiated variable in file global.

so, i want to have a looping mechanism in the expression.

I guess it is not explicitly present right now. Right now, i use teststand API to update the variable.

It would be nice to have looping in expression. This will improve my custom steps performance.

Regards,

Muthuraman S

NI has gone through a lot work to get the IVI Components integrated within TestStand as step types. I was wondering why NI has not incorporated the NI-DAQmx technology into TestStand as step types. I realize most TestStand developers would just create TestStand Adapters in the sequence step written in CVI or LV to interface to NI-DAQmx functions. Even the more advanced TestStand Developers would create their own custom step types to interface to NIDAQmx. I have just done that to where I have created a framework of custom DAQmx step types that I use as a small subset from all the NIDAQmx functions used from the NI-DAQmx library. 

In the same way that the setup, main, and cleanup can be expanded or collapsed, do the same for all of the flow control steps.

Have the steps expanded by default.

I think it would make it easier to study long sequences.

In some cases it could be handy, if you were able to convert a container you've constructed in the variable pane into a type directly from the variables pane.

type_from_variable.png

One case could be, if you chose to store some settings in the sequence file, but the settings are dependent upon fx equipment or the product variant. It can be handy to have a variable with the settings, and an array of settings specific to various configurations from which you can choose. But the 'settings' container and the type in the array of settings containers, of course have to align. And this is best achieved by a custom data type.

Often sequences start out for one configuration only, and later on the need for multiple configurations occurs - and that's why I think it could be handy - if you were able to convert a container, already in the variable pane, into a custom data type.

It would be nice to be able to drag a sequence from the sequences pane over into the steps pane and have it automatically insert a Sequence Call Step with the dragged sequence selected. 

It would be nice to be able to create a new sequence from highlighting steps in a sequence and performing a right mouse click, "Create New Sequence...", this would be a kin to Create SubVI in LabVIEW.

This action could display a dialog to give possible options such as, to copy the Setup and/or Cleanup group, Create in a New SequenceFile or in Current SequenceFile, the option to Move or Copy highlighted Steps. It could also include creating any locals and /or  FileGlobals (if creating in a new SequenceFile) used by those highlight steps.

Sometimes it is useful to be able to search for instances of custom data types. Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be a way to do this in TestStand.  It would be really nice if you could search for instances of types in the Types window or perhaps through the Find/Replace utility:

Suggestion.png

Suggestion2.png

The Step Type Messaga Popup .

Usually I use the same text in the Step Name for the Title Expression

default MessagePopup.PNG

and for a long time now I have used NameOf(Step) in the Title Expression so as not to have to duplicate the Step Name.

new Default MessagePopup.PNG

Now that Templates are available I can save a copy this version to use instead of the default step type. But thats only true for my development PC.

This may not be saved on other development PC.

What would be nice if the default value for Title Expression was NameOf(Step) instead of "untitled".

regards

Ray Farmer

A nice feature of reporting is the ability to form the report file pathname using an expression.  However, since the path is resolved before the client Sequence file is executed, you cannot use properties populated in the client sequence file as part of the report pathname. Currently the only way to accomplish this without modifying the model or reportOptions callback is by including the <UUTStatus> macro in the path expression, which enables a portion of the process model which copies the report to a new path based on the result of the UUT:

1.png

I propose that we add an option to force the report path to be re-evaluated after the client sequence to allow users to include properties evaluated in the client sequence file in the report file path without needing to include the <UUTStatus> macro.  (basically exposing the ReportOptions.NewFileNameForEachUUTStatus property in the dialog)

2.png

Hi,

I think this Thread should be placed here.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/NI-TestStand/How-to-create-a-build-in-User-StepType/m-p/1134151

The aim of this is that users can create the same powerful steps like that once which comes from NI.

Biggest enhancement of this would be that i can get rid of the "edit" - button and there is no floating panel

somewhere else.

The second enhancement is that i may use drag and drop between the edit and variable panel (if this is neccessary).

Like Manooch_H I am interrested in comments, too

Regards

Juergen

To import/export properties in TestStand the JSON format would be much more intuitive than the proprietary CSV format.
It would also better fit to the structur of the TestStands property structur.

Please make the mouse navigation buttons work with the teststand navigation buttons Teststand navigation.JPG (Go Back & Go Foreward) 

Just like it would work in Internet Explorer.

Mouse.jpg

It would be nice to beable to define a variable as constant.This could apply to Locals, FileGlobals, StationGlobals.

Once set mark it so as to be easily identifible as a Const.

The API would also need to include either a Property or Method so that one could determine if a variable is a Constant.

17017i0EE4006F51D2E91C

Wouldn't be nice to beable to define one's own set of Expression Functions. This seems to be the one area of TestStand that cannot be customised. eg. Locals.name = NameOf(Step), Locals.IsValid = DoSomethingNotDefinedByDefaultFunction(Locals.name),.....(carry on with expression) Regards Ray Farmer

The MOST annoying part of working with TestStand is the fact that the developer has to re-enter e-v-e-r-y bloody value for a given parameter when the prototype changes in a LabVIEW VI.  I seem to recall that older versions of TestStand would allow the user to do that, but the more recent version don't.  Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me and this was never possible..

In any case... When dealing with two parameters which have over 300 (yes!! THREE HUNDRED) entries, this is a bloody nightmare!!  Doing it once is nightmareish.. Doing it multiple times is a death sentence!!!  Sidenote:  I inherited the code and cannot change its structure...

In this particular case, the valeus are all Locals.

The first idea on this subject is to allow editing the original parameters when making changes to a prototype (LabVIEW or any other source).  Or as the sister idea to this one, allow to Copy & Pate the contents of a container!  See this thread!

HI

It would be nice to make Sequences public or private within a SequnenceFile.

With this you where able to make powerful SequenceFiles librarys.  The biggest advantage of this

is you can show the consumer of the library only the "important" public sequences. The

private ones where invisible. This will help to avoid errors.

Regards

juergen

It would be nice to have some kind of Custom Step which gets triggered when a step is deleted from a sequence. Something very much similar to "OnNewStep" which is triggered when a Step is dropped into the sequence.

We may have an option, say, "OnStepDeletion" to detect the deletion of a step. This will be very helpful in many of the step usages.

The TestStand Flow Control Steps like "IF" and "FOR" use the "OnNewStep" to create an "END" step along with them when they are dropped. But there is no means to automatically remove the created "End" when the "FOR" or "IF" Steps are deleted from the sequence. The proposed "OnStepDeletion" can be handy in such cases.

I hope you all will support this idea as it will make many of the functionalities more efficient. 

Regards,
Nitz 

(PS : Forgive me if anyone has posted this idea already. I couldn't find any such posts)