NI TestStand Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
asbo

Visualization of Sequence properties through the Sequence's icon

I'm declining this idea due to lack of community support.

Everyone should be familiar with the Sequences pane. In it, we get fancy icons for certain callbacks, but I'd also like each sequence reveal more information about the sequence's settings, and my first thought was to use helpful overlays for the icon. If you take a peek in the Sequence Properties dialog, you'll see there's three different tickboxes there that (can) radically change how a sequence executes. Unfortunately, I don't have any awesome ideas on how these could be presented (especially all at once) - it'd be pretty tough to fit all that discernably into a 16x16 icon. Both Comments and Requirements are visualized clearly, but I would just as soon trade the Comment column for a way to display these settings.

sequenceicons.png

I'd be even more thrilled if the SequenceCall step type could also find some visual way to display this information, but I guess we should probably take this a step at a time 😉

3 Comments
Jimmy_Reumuth
NI Employee (retired)

One possibility is using a tooltip to display this information. Would you consider that a satisfactory solution? The downside is you would have to hover your mouse over the sequence to see the settings, so it wouldn't be as obvious and easy of a visual indication as an icon.

asbo

I know that steps have handy tooltips (in addition to the Settings column) which reveal non-default settings - record result, do not trace, and so on. A tooltip in that fashion would certainly be welcome. It would definitely be easier than popping into each sequence properties dialog. You're right about the downside and I agree it's not as obvious, but any improvement would be appreciated. Of course, I would love to see something that doesn't require user interaction, but I still have no great ideas on presentation.

WireWeaver
Active Participant
Status changed to: Declined

I'm declining this idea due to lack of community support.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/trentweaver