NI TestStand Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RayFarmer

User Defined Expression Functions

Wouldn't be nice to beable to define one's own set of Expression Functions. This seems to be the one area of TestStand that cannot be customised. eg. Locals.name = NameOf(Step), Locals.IsValid = DoSomethingNotDefinedByDefaultFunction(Locals.name),.....(carry on with expression) Regards Ray Farmer
Regards
Ray Farmer
7 Comments
asbo
Where would you define these, though?
RayFarmer
Trusted Enthusiast

Defined in a similar way  custom step types are defiend. I see this as a way of using the code defined in a custom steps type but being able to use it in an expression.

It would be like having a custom step or a code module which has a pre-expression and post expression but it's all done in the Expression control.

Regards
Ray Farmer
EMR

I had to think about this one for a bit,  but on second-look I could see that as a great way of cleaning up some very ugly expressions I've encountered/written over the years... especially the sort people are obliged to make when tweaking the sequence view in an operator interface or the ModuleDescription within a custom steptype. 

It could be like definining mini VB scripts/ stored proceedures within TS... but with the potential to make use of the API / existing expressions.

Cheers,
Elaine R.
www.bloomy.com
j_dodek
Active Participant

Hi Ray

Good idea !

I would like to write my functions in C or C#  🙂

Regards

Juergen

--Signature--
Sessions NI-Week 2017 2016
Feedback or kudos are welcome
Levic

Hi,

I like this idea very much>

More less at the time you post it I also send it to NI as Product Suggestion, but so far no feedback.

Regards

Marek

BalazsNagy

Kudos for the Idea!!

CLA, CLED
_carl

Just came here to suggest the same idea -- could be extremely useful!