NI TestStand Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jrasco

Match Container Values within Cluster during Prototype Re-load

Defining a custom step type is an iterative process getting the Post Step VI, Edit VI, Step Type Fields, etc. all matched up and working together.  I often tweak controls and indicators throughout the process.  If I have defined the substeps in TestStand, that means reloading the VI prototype throughout this iteration.

Custom Step Type Properties.png

Reload Proto.PNG

If my controls/indicators are numerics, strings, or arrays of either, the existing parameter values are retained during the reload.  Containers are different, however.  If the cluster input of the VI is unchanged between the exisiting prototype and the reloaded version, the container parameter values are retained.  My complaint is that if one element in the cluster changes, the entire container gets thrown out during the reload.

paramter assignments.PNG

In this particular case, all I did was change a cluster element from an array to an element.  Nothing else (cluster labels, etc.) changed.  Because of this, the entire container gets thrown out during the reload along with 30+ values that I had assigned.

Unfortunately, I find myself doing this multiple times during development so the time it takes to re-type everyhting adds up over the entire dev cycle.

My idea is to have container values retained (similar to non-container values) during a VI prototype reload.

Thanks,

Jacob