NI TestStand Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MichaelMC

Make it possible to edit Stationglobals from the Teststand Base Deployment License

There are a number of workarounds listed and it looks like this was previously declined, but the status was not changed.

Thanks,

Trent

I use the Stationglobals.ini to define my hardware settings on the test PC, like comport number and so on. It is running Teststand Base Deployment.

If I want to edit the settings it's only possible if I copy the stationglobals.ini to my development PC which has the full license, edits the settings, and then copies the file back to the test PC. Before I copy the file to my development PC I need to make a backup of the original file, so I don't get the settings on the development PC overwritten. Then afterwards I have to re-establish the backup.

This is a lot of copying back and forth, which is quite annoying.

Please make it possible to edit the Stationglobals.ini directly on the test PC with the Base Deployment Engine.

18 Comments
MichaelMC

Sorry, a bit too quick with the response there

It was working on the development pc, but when I try it on the test pc it won't let me switch because I only have the Base Deployment license on that one.

Smiley Sad

Back to building my own tool again.....

paulmw
Active Participant

Was there a reason that this idea was declined?  I also want to have the capabilities of adding/modifying the station globals under the base deployment license without having to create something custom. 

MichaelMC

Sorry,

No, I wasn't given any reason.

paulmw
Active Participant

Not sure if this was the correct course of action but I posted this to the moderator to see if it can get it "re-opened"...  If not, I guess I can create a new idea...

"Moderator,

I am not satisfied with the reasoning (or lack thereof) behind this idea being declined.  However, instead of me reposting this idea again, can you reopen it for discussion/kudos or have it explained better as to why it was declined.  The discussions within the thread only propose work-arounds and I do not believe they honor the nature of the request and the purpose of the Idea Exchange.

Thanks"

Jervin Justin
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: New

Jervin Justin
NI TestStand Product Manager
Jervin Justin
NI Employee (retired)

Hi paulmw,

The idea is now reopened. I had originally closed/declined this idea after seeing MichaelMC's post on April 27th.

Jervin Justin
NI TestStand Product Manager
WireWeaver
Active Participant
Status changed to: Declined

There are a number of workarounds listed and it looks like this was previously declined, but the status was not changed.

Thanks,

Trent

https://www.linkedin.com/in/trentweaver
t.kendall

I think it might be better if it were a plaintext file instead that way you can do easy config controls and do mass edits when you are maintaining a large number of stations.