NI TestStand Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
warren_scott

Improve error checking when connecting LabVIEW Clusters and TestStand Types

Hey Warren,

I'm not exactly sure when this behavior changed, but in TestStand 2019 i'm getting an edit time Error as well as a sequence analyzer.

I suspect that this was completed a while back and nobody closed it. Let me know if you still see the behavior.

Thanks,

Trent

Recently ran into a problem when I was configuring a LabVIEW module that passed in/out clusters/types.  I had a mistake in my code that the teststand data type was not configured to allow it to pass to LabVIEW clusters, but the problem was not as obvious as I thought it should be.

Here's what I had:

noconnectionproblems.png

And when I click on the red checkmark "check expression" for "Cluster", it shows up as "No Errors".  Everything looks great, right?  Well, it isn't. 

It's not until I expand "Cluster" to show the elements that I see that there are connectivity problems.

nowseeconnectionproblems.png

It would be nice if "Locals.mylocal" expression would turn RED and show a "check expression error" if any of it's children also had a connection problem (specifically in this case that the type in TestStand was not configured to allow passing to LabVIEW clusters).  This way it would be a lot easier to see.

Even worse, this problem is NOT found by sequence analyzer -- it's left to be found at runtime.

I know this is all because I had a bug/mistake in my code, but it would be a lot easier to track down and fix if these changes were made.

3 Comments
Lars_L
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Under Consideration

WireWeaver
Active Participant
Status changed to: Completed

Hey Warren,

I'm not exactly sure when this behavior changed, but in TestStand 2019 i'm getting an edit time Error as well as a sequence analyzer.

I suspect that this was completed a while back and nobody closed it. Let me know if you still see the behavior.

Thanks,

Trent

https://www.linkedin.com/in/trentweaver
warren_scott
Active Participant

Trent --

I did a quick check through sequence editor in TS2019 and I agree that this issue has been fixed.  Thanks to the team for getting this fixed/improved/addressed!

Warren