NI TestStand Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
--thatguy

Deployment Utility should use workspace/projects as roots for the deployment locations

TestStand should use Workspace and Projects properly when determining the folders and files used for deployment.  It should not default to reproducing the on disk source structure for your deployment.

1. I develop in a folder called: C:\Development\ProjectFolder\. 
  2. I create a workspace, a project, and add the ProjectFolder to the project.
  3. I load the workspace into the Deployment Utility.
  4. In the Installer Options tab I set my Default Installation Base Directory to "Windows Volume (C:)"
  5. In the Installer Options tab I set my Default Installation Subdirectory to "ProductionSW"

I would expect the Project Folder and its contents to be the ROOT of my deployment placed in the C:\ProductionSW\ folder.  My resulting installer should create C:\ProductionSW\ProjectFolder\

However the Distributed File Tree Views show:

View Workspace

• Workspace.tsw
    • Project.tpj
      • ProjectFolder
        • source Files and Folders

View Source

• C:
    • Development
      • ProjectFolder

View Build Preview

• Installation Directory
    • Development
      • ProjectFolder

By default when I build the deployment it installs my software at C:\ProductionSW\Development\ProjectFolder\

The Development folder is not in the workspace or project.  It is not referenced in any of the source files (as all paths are relative).  I understand why it's in the View Source as that's where it resides on disk.  However, the workspace/project should be used as the basis for the deployment not where things are on disk. 

The source starts at ProjectFolder and that is what I expect to be deployed to my Default Installation Base Directory\Default Installation Subdirectory folder.

If the workspace and project aren't used to define your project code then what good are they in the Deployment Utility?