cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
warren_scott

Add tree structure to data type menu

Do you ever have too many custom data types, and it looks something like this

datatype_list.png

This just really sucks when you have 100's of data types to go through.  My list is currently 150 long.  That's a lot of clicking on that little arrow at the bottom.

How about something like this:

datatype_menu.png

Go through and reorganize your types 

<< insert some whiz-bang graphical editor here that allows dragging/dropping of types into groups -- none of this "move up in list" "move down in list" stuff that we are doing now to move step types in/out of groups >>

Now when you go to insert a type, you see a tree structure and all your types are organized

datatypes_treelist.png

This would be so much easier to find the type I want.

5 Comments
ramon.meza

This is essential! Working with a lot of custom data types is a nightmare in its current state.

pawhan11
Active Participant

Kudos,

Or another option would be to add intalisense option when ctrl+space pressed on selected type that could allow for replacement

WireWeaver
Active Participant
Status changed to: Under Consideration

https://www.linkedin.com/in/trentweaver
bienieck
Active Participant

The interesting thing is that SeqEdit can do this already (and could do this long before this idea thread was created), but with some hidden magic. Perhaps NI could simply reveal the magic tricks used here, and the problem will be solved?

See this: https://forums.ni.com/t5/NI-TestStand/How-to-group-data-types/td-p/4270460

Michał Bieńkowski
CLA, CTA

Someone devote his time to help solve your problem? Appreciate it and give kudos. Problem solved? Accept as a solution so that others can find it faster in the future.
Make a contribution to the development of TestStand - vote on TestStand Idea Exchange.
bienieck
Active Participant

I think that if it is such a pain to provide a decent edit window for this then at least let us define it with type attributes. I can make the edit window myself.

Michał Bieńkowski
CLA, CTA

Someone devote his time to help solve your problem? Appreciate it and give kudos. Problem solved? Accept as a solution so that others can find it faster in the future.
Make a contribution to the development of TestStand - vote on TestStand Idea Exchange.