NI TestStand Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
AllenR

Add immediate execution window.

I'm declining this due to lack of community support.

The idea here is to have a widow that you can execute expressions while at a breakpoint or paused.   I would also like to be able to execute the expression while not running the sequence.  Many times I am not sure how will be returned by an API expression and it would be nice just to execute it.  I know that not all expressions can be executed outside running the sequence, but many can.  This would be a nice feature so you can test expressions without running the whole sequence.

9 Comments
dug9000
NI Employee (retired)

You can already do this at a breakpoint using the watch expression window.

AllenR
NI Employee (retired)

Only when it is executing a sequence.  I'd like to do it without executing a sequence.

Josh_W
Active Participant

Putting down a statement step, and then choosing 'run selected steps' can already do this.  I don't see the merit in having a separate mode or window.

Josh W.
Certified TestStand Architect
Formerly blue
AllenR
NI Employee (retired)

I just selected a step in the middle of my sequence and TS tried to execute all the statements in the setup section.  So it doesn't seem to just try to execute the statement I want.

RayFarmer
Trusted Enthusiast

That's the normal action when you run Selected Step(s), first it will run all the Steps in the Setup Group of the Sequence containing your Selected Step(s), then it will execute the selected step(s) and finally it will run the steps in the Cleanup Group. You could use the Interactive Callbacks to override the Setup and Cleanup.

Maybe an option to have would be to Run Selected Step(s) without running Setup and Cleanup Steps.

Regards
Ray Farmer
paulmw
Active Participant

You can also disable running Setup and Cleanup for interactive executions in the 'Station Options' on the 'Execution' tab.

Jimmy_Reumuth
NI Employee (retired)

I can see how having to Run Selected Steps would be too much trouble for something you want to do quick, easily, and often.

How about a way to evaluate and display the result of the expression you're currently editing? If that would work for you, maybe that should be a separate idea. Maybe the error check button on  the expression control could display the result of evaluation when there's not an error.

Jimmy_Reumuth
NI Employee (retired)

Btw, there is an option under Station Options>>Execution to not run setup/clean for interactive executions (e.g. run selected steps), but if you sometimes wanted to run setup/clean and sometimes didn't because you're using run selected steps for two different purposes, it would be a lot of trouble to switch this options back and forth.

WireWeaver
Active Participant
Status changed to: Declined

I'm declining this due to lack of community support.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/trentweaver