NI TestStand Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RyanWright

Add ability to search for instances of custom data types

Sometimes it is useful to be able to search for instances of custom data types. Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be a way to do this in TestStand.  It would be really nice if you could search for instances of types in the Types window or perhaps through the Find/Replace utility:

Suggestion.png

Suggestion2.png

6 Comments
dug9000
NI Employee (retired)

What version of TestStand are you using? The latest version of TestStand already has support to match to type names with the "Find" feature which allows you to effectively find all instances.

forum.png

RyanWright

I have been using TestStand 2010 SP1.  That's great to know that this has been implemented in the latest version of TestStand.  Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

crossrulz
Knight of NI

It would still be nice to be able to initiate the search from the Custom Data Type tab by right-clicking on the custom data type definition.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
RyanWright

Agreed.  At least they have added the capability to the Find/Replace utility, though.

warren_scott
Active Participant

I have also had luck using Find/Replace in files.  Search for empty string, and set your filter (second tab) to only search within objects of type "foo" (whatever you are looking for).  Results take a little sorting through, but it can get the job done.

Oh yeah -- and don't forget to undo the "search only within types of XXXX" when you are done -- otherwise you'll be pulling your hair out next time you are doing a search and aren't expecting it to filter on only certain types.

RyanWright

Another helpful suggestion.  Thanks.