NI TestStand Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RyanWright

Add Sequence File Types to Variable Pane

Declining due to lack of community support for this idea

It would be really nice if custom types for a sequence file were displayed in the Sequence Editor variables pane (in addition to being displayed in the Types window).

TestStand Types Suggestion.png

4 Comments
dug9000
NI Employee (retired)

Please explain the use case that you feel would benefit from this and why it would benefit.

Just want to add that for type management reasons, it's often best to develop your types in a type palette in order to avoid unintended conflicts and type propagation.

Thanks,

-Doug

RyanWright

This is mostly to improve usability because you would be able to see information about all variables in a sequence file in one location instead of having to view a portion of them in a separate window.  It would also help new users of TestStand that may or may not know about the Types window.  The custom types I am talking about are only those types that belong to a sequence file (see picture below).

Type Window

dug9000
NI Employee (retired)

One concern with this though is it might encourage people to create types that only belong to a sequence file. It is better to create types in a type palette rather than a sequence file in order to avoid unintended conflicts and type propagation issues. I agree it might make the existence of the types feature more visible, but I think it might also mislead people into thinking it's the best place to add types when in general it's not.

-Doug

WireWeaver
Active Participant
Status changed to: Declined

Declining due to lack of community support for this idea

https://www.linkedin.com/in/trentweaver