NI TestStand Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LVB

Add Progress Indicators During Pre-Load

Now with TestStand 2012 you will be prompted with a Preload Progress dialog box when you open or execute a large sequence file that contains multiple code modules that might take a long time to preload. It displays a progress indicator along with the current sequence file, sequence, step, code module and module path as it preloads the necessary files. For more details on this new feature, check out the "Displaying Code Module Preload Progress" section in the NI TestStand 2012 Help under What's New in TestStand>>TestStand 2012>>New Features. Thanks for the feedback! Lars

When loading large sequence files, TestStand does not display progress and appears to "lock up" both TestStand and the LabVIEW OI.  Sequences with hundreds of steps can take minutes to load.  Operators often incorrectly conclude the application has stopped respoding during long pre-loads.

I am suggesting to implement a responsive progress display, allowing the LabVIEW OI to proceed execution, and post the following UI Messages during step pre-load.

UIMessageCodes

1. UIMsg_ProgressPercent–(Value: 11) TestStand step modules post this message to the user interface to notify it to update its progress indicator associated with an execution.
  2. UIMsg_ProgressText–(Value: 12) TestStand step modules post this message to the user interface to notify it to update its progress message associated with an execution.

20869i87D31F1755A9EB9F

CLA, CTA
3 Comments
EMR

I could see this as handy... even if progress messages aren't possible during the load, I'd appreciate more granularity in terms of 'starting to load' and 'finished loading' messages etc. (same for unload), I could code up some 'more realistic' fakery in my dialogs with that sneaky bit of info....

... along the same lines, it'd be nice if there were progress events during system startup too... but this might be a chicken-and-the-egg scenario.  For the GUI to show 'please stand  by server files/settings loading' it may require the server to finish loading in order to broadcast the events properly...  🙂

--Elaine

Cheers,
Elaine R.
www.bloomy.com
Jervin Justin
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Under Consideration

Jervin Justin
NI TestStand Product Manager
Lars_L
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Completed
Now with TestStand 2012 you will be prompted with a Preload Progress dialog box when you open or execute a large sequence file that contains multiple code modules that might take a long time to preload. It displays a progress indicator along with the current sequence file, sequence, step, code module and module path as it preloads the necessary files. For more details on this new feature, check out the "Displaying Code Module Preload Progress" section in the NI TestStand 2012 Help under What's New in TestStand>>TestStand 2012>>New Features. Thanks for the feedback! Lars