NI Powertrain Controls Users

Highlighted

ECS Example Project Feedback

Welcome to the ECS Example Project feedback forum.  Please use this discussion to ask questions, get support, or provide feedback.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(4,537 Views)
12 REPLIES 12

Re: ECS Example Project Feedback

Dear A.Polk,

I am a student at Sheffield Hallam University (UK). I am currently undergoing a project to develop an ECU to run a single cylinder 4 stroke motorcycle engine used in formula student (engine is from a 2013 KTM 500 EXC), with the aim for basic operation for test cell and dyno testing.

I have found this example very helpful with guidance to writing my own simplified version, as this example is over complicated and not compatible with the hardware we had donated by National Instruments.

The engine that I am using does not have a cam sensor, however it does have a crank sensor. Is there a way to be able to simulate a cam sensor so that I can get this working? as I believe the EPT VI's require a cam signal for four stroke operation and achieving EPTsync.

I am also in the process of trying to calibrate various sensors to use with my system, however there are no specifications or datasheets available from the engine manufacturer, do you have any advice on obtaining this information?

From what I have seen, the engine uses a inductive coil pack rather than a 'smart coil', at the time the hardware was donated, the NI sales rep recommended a ESTTL module to drive the coil, is this correct? as I have seen documentation saying the ESTTL module is for use with 'smart coils' only.

Any help is much appreciated, being in academia there is limited support as I have no budget for this project. If it is sucessful, the formula student car will have NI logos on to recgonise the support recieved.

Kind Regards,

Jack Hedges

Sheffield Hallam University

Certified LabVIEW Associate Developer

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(2,944 Views)

Jeff,

Firstly, what is your crankshaft sensor type and trigger pattern?  I found a parts document for your engine here, but I cannot find a toothed wheel.  I assume the crankshaft position sensor is referred to as the 'Pulser Coil' in the 'Ignition System' diagram.  What type of waveform do you see from the sensor?  Since it is a two-wire device, I would guess it is a VR sensor. 

For EPT, some simple EFI engines are designed to inject fuel and spark on each revolution of the engine, like a two-stroke engine.  Therefore a cam sensor is not needed.  Half of your fuel is injected early and puddles on the intake valve and the other half is injected during the intake stroke.  A spark is fired on both compression and exhaust strokes like 'wasted spark' systems.  For this type of four-stroke engine, you would simply run the EPT in two-stroke mode.

If you cannot find a datasheet, you must reverse engineer the sensor calibrations which can be very time consuming.  We have done it many times.  You will need to use known states to calibrate the sensor yourself using a multimeter to measure voltage and/or resistance.  For example, boiling water, ice water, and room temperature will give you at least three data points for temperature sensors (thermisters are never linear!).  The default calibration used for the various thermisters in the ECS code is somewhat an industry standard for -40 degC to 130 degC measurements.  For pressure sensors, you can plumb a tee with a analog gauge and a manual pump (positive pressure and/or vacuum) to get data points.  Usually pressure sensors are linear with reference values at 0.5 and 4.5 volts.

For ignition, I would recommend researching a product like this one.  There are many such "igniters" or "coil drivers" out there.  This device takes 5V TTL triggers and provides the primary drive for coil-on-plug applications.  As a disclaimer, I have not tested this device in conjunction with our products.

Good luck with your project!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(2,944 Views)

Andrew,

Many thanks for your reply!

The crankshaft sensor is definately a VR sensor, as for the trigger pattern I don't know yet, I will have to disassemble the engine to find out. From what I have briefly seen, the sensor 'pickup' is from a part that is on page 60 of the parts document you found, under ignition system as numbered part 20 'Rotor EXC'. Again to clarify that I would have to disassemble the engine.

**UPDATE** I have now found the trigger pattern of the engine, it seems to be an N+1 (advanced) but the plus 1 tooth has no spacing between the nearest adjacent tooth. So it is effectively an extended tooth, 17 standard teeth and one extended. It appears none of the EPT vi's are compatible with this pattern.

That makes much more sense, thank you. I did wonder if that was how it would operate but I could not find anything to clarify it.

For the sensors I presumed that would be the case, unfortunately KTM are very secretive with all specifications for the sensors. Thank you for your advice on calibration.

The coil that is used with the engine is also on page 60 of the parts document, numbered part 5 'Pulser coil', having only a small wire which is connected directly to the original KTM ECU and the HT spark lead. I can only assume it is a standard ignition coil (not a smart coil) given no specific information. I shall have a look into the suggested product and see what I can do.

Thank you very much for your help, it is very much appreciated. I am sure you will see a case study from myself in the near future based on this project!

All the best,

Jack Hedges

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(2,944 Views)

For ignition, I would recommend researching a product like this one.  There are many such "igniters" or "coil drivers" out there.  This device takes 5V TTL triggers and provides the primary drive for coil-on-plug applications.  As a disclaimer, I have not tested this device in conjunction with our products.

As a followup to the ignition coil driver mentioned in a previous post, we have tested the AEM 4 channel coil driver using the NI 9754 ESTTL and found that our module will NOT work with this device.  The pull-down circuit inside the AEM coil driver requires more current than the ESTTL can provide.  For now, we recommend using only smart coils which accept 5V TTL signals in combination with the ESTTL module for spark ignition.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(2,944 Views)

Andrew,

We are doing some basic checkout of our ECS code and hardware.  Our first goal is to get a single injector firing on channel 2 of the DI-1 driver (which currently isn't firing).  One thing we notice is the DI Pulse Overlap Fault is getting set when we enable the driver channel.  It doesn't matter which channel we enable, it will set this fault.

Does this fault prevent the injector from firing?  Can you explain the difference between critial faults and non-critical faults.  I'm assuming the critical faults would prevent the injectors from firing, but not non-critical.  Is this the case?

What other things can prevent the injector from firing.  The "module present" LED is active so everything is powered correctly.  We've activated all of the appropriate enable buttons.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Holt

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(2,944 Views)

Be sure to check all of your critical faults and resolve as necessary.  The 'Get Fault' SCM Fault Point for the 'Critical' class of faults is used to disable DI, PFI, and Spark in the hardware layer.  In the ECS 2015.0.3 and later, you can temporarily ignore all existing faults using the Fault list on the top level host by clicking 'Ack All'.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(2,944 Views)

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your contribution to the forum.

Is there any documentation available on the ECS Example project for someone who has purchased the cRIO NI DIDS System for Engine Control and is using the code for the first time?

If not could you please briefly explain:

- How are the host, RT and FPGA VIs interacting for Port Injectors and Direct Injectors?

- What the following VIs are for or are accomplishing:

ECS-140X-GDI-RT.vi

and the VIs under the ECS FPGA.lvlib

- Is it right to say that:

From the ECS-PFI-Host.vi,  the user is able to view data in terms of graphs and charts and also able to control or change engine parameters.

The second level would be "host" VI's  which are receiving information from the "sensor" or on board modules and are using the input from sensors in a look up table, and determining the output from the look up tables based on the input.

Your help is highly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Vahid Nobakhti

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(1,485 Views)

Dear mr. Polk

I am currently using the NI powertrain controles engine controller system and ECS example software in an attempt to achieve closed loop controlled HCCI operation on a commercial diesel engine. To this extent I have wired all the sensors & actuators to the corresponding NI powertrain module.

I am currently in the phase of cranking the engine and verifying whether all inputs are read in correctly, and came across the following problem:

When cranking the engine, the NI9411 module reads in the correct signal and frequencies and communicates these correctly to the CAS software (check encoder button shows the correct signals, measured resolutions etc.). However, the engine control software EPTx does not report any primary signal activity, cranking engine status or engine speed, therefore engine control is not initiated. Neither does the CAS software report engine speed or operation when in online mode.

Is it possible to provide some more information on the configuration of the EPT in the engine control system. Is it possible that the EPT settings file is missing? If so, how can i get this file or in what format should I write this file if I am to generate it myself?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Artur

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(1,130 Views)

Hi All,

There are 7 XControls missing from the project (go to Dependencies >> vi.lib to see the missing files).

How can these files be obtained?

Cheers,

YD

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(455 Views)
This is an open group. Sign in and click the "Join Group" button to become a group member and start posting.