NI Package Manager (NIPM)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why NI Package Manager is making me lose time??

Hello the forum.

Yes, the question is pretty simple, but I cannot find the answer. Maybe, simply, Package Manager is a product with bugs and the developers have to live with them!?

My problem is that I have to offline update a development PC having Windows 7 installed. It concerns in particular the LabVIEW development environment as I have to migrate from the 17 (already installed) to the 19 version. Here you are the list of actions that I did:

1. downloaded LV 19 offline package

2. tried to install it, but the message "one or more dependencies require the latest version of the Package Manager" (french to english translation) appeared

3. downloaded the latest version of Package Manager (the 20.5 one)

4. installed it

5. tried to install LV 19 again, but the same message appeared (!!!); then clicked on the link below and once Chrome opened I saw that the page seemed to point to the 19.6 version of the Package Manager (???) (see attached pic)

Is there someone able to tell me what happens here? How can a simple operation as an installation takes one whole afternoon and ends unsuccessfully? I encounter this kind of problem whenever I have to install new offline packages, since, I can say, one or two years. This means since NI drastically updated the Package Manager tool.

Can someone help? Is there a tested and fully explained procedure to follow to do an offline update?

Thanks in advance

Marco

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(2,490 Views)

I have not tried this explicit combination, but I have done 2017 to 2019 not using NIPM online. NIPM 20.5 just got released last week and their might be some churn from it with other packages. If the machine is truly offline and disconnected from the internet, I wonder if you are having issues from selecting a recommended package that is not part of the offline installer. Also, did you download just LabVIEW 2019 or the LabVIEW & Drivers offline installer?

If it does still does not work, I would recommend installing NI Package Builder (NIPM) and making a Package Installer that install LabVIEW 2019 and any other packages you may want included. The generated installer will include NIPM as well and will allow to install what LabVIEW 2019 needs along with the dependencies. You can also add additional drivers you need as well. However, you will need to have a system with these products installed to create the Package Installer currently.

Message 2 of 16
(2,452 Views)

Marco, I am confused by the symptoms that you are seeing. One possibility is that NIPM 20.5 did not actually install properly. Could you post the default NIPM logs associated with the failing installation of LabVIEW? See the section "Default Error Logs" in the below link for instructions. These should give those on the forum more insight to next steps.

Generating and Locating NI Package Manager Error Logs

Scott Richardson
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(2,444 Views)

Thanks Bill and Scott for the provided answers.

I would try to avoid:

- reinstalling Windows (I read about someone who did this to solve problems with NI software! For your information, last Windows update was done correctly in the end of 2019)

- reinstalling NI software only (this can be time demanding because the PC is pretty old and slow)

Moreover, in my opinion these are not solutions, just possible workarounds. Downgrade to NIPM 20.1 also does not seem to be possible..

Concerning the NIPM log, all the errors are about the file "preinstall\Main.cpp". Here they are (ordered from less to more recent):

- -125031, line 481 (ok, not connected to the internet)

- -126003, line 528 (ok again, internet missing)

- -126308, line 611

The key clue can be the fact that when I click on the bottom link (see photo posted in the first message), I'm redirected to the Package Manager 19.6 page and not to the 20.5 one, that corresponds to the last version installed.

I'll give a try to the Package Builder solution, but if you have other suggestions, I'll be happy to read them.

Bye

Marco

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(2,426 Views)

Marco, the reference to 19.6 in the URL is our way for the URL to communicate what application generated the URL, so I believe that if 19.6 is in the URL, then NIPM 19.6 is the originator, and so that is why I was questioning whether NIPM 20.5 is actually installed.

1) What is the command-line output of "nipkg.exe show-version" command?

2) Can you also look at the installed packages using the "ni-package-manager" search filter to see what their versions are?

Scott Richardson
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(2,406 Views)

Hello Scott, 

unfortunately I had no time to deeply investigate the issue, so I decided to restore a previously saved image of the operating system and then to offline install LV 2019 and all the needed packages one by one. Everything now works as expected.

I would like to keep this post alive anyway in case of further issues, so I add some information about the PC state before the actions mentioned in the first mail.

So here's the list of the action realised in the past on that PC:

1. installed the application and all the related resources (LV 2017 RTE, XNET runtime, DAQ runtime, VISA runtime, etc...) using an installer builded through the LV 17 project

2. installed LV 17 development environment and all the drivers (XNET, DAQ, VISA, etc...) necessary for the development/debugging of the application using offline packages

3. just like point 1, because of the migration to LV 19, installed a new version of the application and all the related resources (LV 2019 RTE, XNET runtime, DAQ runtime, VISA runtime, etc...) using an new installer builded through the LV 19 project

So, before to undertake the installation of the LV 19 offline package (first point of the list of actions appearing in the first post), some NI 2019 resources were already on the PC.

Marco

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(2,387 Views)

Another strange behaviour that I observe, happens when I would like to install additional packages such as NI-ADCS or NI-ECUMC.

On the same PC on which I finally succeeded in installing LV 19 (pic 1), if I run the NI-ADCS installer for example, only few products are shown and then installed (pic 2). The LV 19 library does not belong to them. This is confirmed when I go in the vi.lib folder: no library ADCS library is present.

It's like LV 19 is not detected during the installation...

Do you have an idea on how this problem can be solved?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(2,368 Views)

You can try to install the LabVIEW support manually:

1. Go to the gear menu on the top right of NIPM.
  2. Enable the first option below "Content", i.e. "Show available packages and feed management tools"
  3. A new tab called "Packages" should appear next to "Installed". Click on it.
  4. Be sure to uncheck "Products only"
  5. If the toolkit feed was properly registered then you should be able to browse for the LabVIEW support and install it from here.

If this doesn't work (either because you don't see the package or get an error installing it) then it would be good to know what NI software is currently installed on your system. (I suggest to create a protocol using NI MAX; option is in the 'Data' menu.)

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(2,337 Views)

can you give some more details what is installed on the machine (exact revision of each NI Software component) and which version of ADCS/ECUMC you want to install.

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(2,324 Views)

Hello, thanks for your suggestions.

I'm facing the problem again. This time I generate NI MAX technical support reports to add more information to this post.

List of actions:

1. Created a technical report on the target PC ("..before-VT-installer")

2. Run the VT installer (containing an application developed in LV 19 and XNET/DAQ/VISA/488/ECUMC/ADCS/SERIAL 20.x drivers)

3. Created a technical report on the target PC ("..after-VT-installer")

4. Run the LV 19 installer -> had message "update to latest version of Packets Manager"

5. Installed Packets Manager 20.5

6. Run the LV 19 installer -> had again message "update to latest version of Packets Manager"

7. Created a technical report on the target PC ("..after-PM-installer")

I'm stuck, I cannot install the development tools, I cannot work.

Marco

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(2,257 Views)