NI Package Manager (NIPM)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Specify installation of NIPKG on drive !=C:

Hi 

I'm looking for an option to create NIPKG which installs on a subfolder of drive D:\

I am using nipck on CLI .

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Cheers

Oli

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,789 Views)

Hi Oli,

I'd love for someone more knowledgeable to tell me I'm wrong, but I suspect it might not be possible (at least via File Packages for NIPM/NIPkgs).

The list of possible installation roots is here: https://www.ni.com/documentation/en/ni-package-manager/latest/manual/installation-target-roots/

The highest-level option (from a directory point of view) is  "BootVolume", which allows you to build any arbitrary path relative to "C:\" (assuming you're booting from C:\, e.g. "BootVolume\MyArbitrary\DirPath\blah.exe" will install to C:\MyArbitrary\DirPath\blah.exe)  but doesn't help you get to "D:\"

The other options can be useful to create fewer intermediate directories (e.g. choosing "ni-paths-LV2020DIR" and then a subdirectory for "vi.lib" is fewer than "BootVolume" and then nested [Program Files (x86), National Instruments, LabVIEW 2020, vi.lib] directories), but they don't give any additional flexibility that I can see - the toggling could be useful in some circumstances, but the directories could always be specified relative to BootVolume.

The leaves you, I think, with the WinInst Packages.

If you could build an MSI file then I suspect the range of options is wider - you could give it a default path to D:\ probably and if you wanted allow the user to edit that (or not...)

Maybe InnoSetup or similar (I've never used this, but a few people have said good things about it).

GCentral
Message 2 of 4
(1,746 Views)

Hi Chris,

thanks for elaborating! This confirms my findings pretty much.

The reason for my question is, that we have a lot of legacy test systems which have been set up to hold all test programs on a second partition. 

I don't really wanna go the msi route..

Cheers

Oli

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,728 Views)

This might have been a change since February last year, but I guess you could maybe use the Relative File Packages now: https://www.ni.com/docs/en-US/bundle/package-manager/page/assembling-relative-file-package.html

(posting mostly for others finding this thread, since I know you've already seen another thread about these and their possible limitations...)

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,218 Views)