From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI Package Manager (NIPM)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Specify installation of NIPKG on drive !=C:

Hi 

I'm looking for an option to create NIPKG which installs on a subfolder of drive D:\

I am using nipck on CLI .

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Cheers

Oli

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,774 Views)

Hi Oli,

I'd love for someone more knowledgeable to tell me I'm wrong, but I suspect it might not be possible (at least via File Packages for NIPM/NIPkgs).

The list of possible installation roots is here: https://www.ni.com/documentation/en/ni-package-manager/latest/manual/installation-target-roots/

The highest-level option (from a directory point of view) is  "BootVolume", which allows you to build any arbitrary path relative to "C:\" (assuming you're booting from C:\, e.g. "BootVolume\MyArbitrary\DirPath\blah.exe" will install to C:\MyArbitrary\DirPath\blah.exe)  but doesn't help you get to "D:\"

The other options can be useful to create fewer intermediate directories (e.g. choosing "ni-paths-LV2020DIR" and then a subdirectory for "vi.lib" is fewer than "BootVolume" and then nested [Program Files (x86), National Instruments, LabVIEW 2020, vi.lib] directories), but they don't give any additional flexibility that I can see - the toggling could be useful in some circumstances, but the directories could always be specified relative to BootVolume.

The leaves you, I think, with the WinInst Packages.

If you could build an MSI file then I suspect the range of options is wider - you could give it a default path to D:\ probably and if you wanted allow the user to edit that (or not...)

Maybe InnoSetup or similar (I've never used this, but a few people have said good things about it).

GCentral
Message 2 of 4
(1,731 Views)

Hi Chris,

thanks for elaborating! This confirms my findings pretty much.

The reason for my question is, that we have a lot of legacy test systems which have been set up to hold all test programs on a second partition. 

I don't really wanna go the msi route..

Cheers

Oli

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,713 Views)

This might have been a change since February last year, but I guess you could maybe use the Relative File Packages now: https://www.ni.com/docs/en-US/bundle/package-manager/page/assembling-relative-file-package.html

(posting mostly for others finding this thread, since I know you've already seen another thread about these and their possible limitations...)

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,203 Views)