NI Package Manager (NIPM)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Organization-wide rollout of NI Software using Package Manager

Hi there,

maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

Together (actually 😉  with out IT departement, I am looking into ways of distributing LabVIEW and TestStand to users within my organization.

In pre-PackageManager times, we used to create dedicated installers using the NI License Manager Software and configure those installers using configuration files to determine which features to install actually.

I know how to make packages (created with Package Builder) to point to the licence server (which is now a two step process unfortunately, refer to https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000g2lSSAQ&l=de-DE )

But still I haven't found an option on how to configure the features per installer to be installed by default: I might want to get rid of some optional features for a LabVIEW installation, might want to add others.

Looking forward to your suggestions

Cheers

Oli

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(1,954 Views)

I had used the Volume License Installer since we could customize some of what was installed. If you are looking for finer control than that offers, you can use NI Package Builder to make a Package Installer. You do have the option for each package added to the installer to install the optional/recommended packages. If you leave that unchecked, you can just add the packages of the features/options you do want installed. The package installers can be installed with out user interaction with --passive --accept-eulas --prevent-reboot command line flags. A package installer is also helpful as the VLI versions are not always up to date when you want them to be.

Message 2 of 7
(1,920 Views)

Hi Bill,

when NOT running silent install with my package, I see 

Oli_Wachno_0-1616686559173.png

that's is what I have configured when creating the package. When proceeding the installation I get 

Oli_Wachno_1-1616686673389.png

asking me about the optional modules. 

Will all the optional modules be installed when running silent installation?

(deviating form the original question 😉

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(1,907 Views)

For NI Package Builder package installer, you can control if they are installed by checking the Include recommended and suggested packages. If this is not checked, only the listed packages (and their dependencies) are installed when passing the --passive flag. Unlike the nipkg.exe command line, there does not appear to be a way to say install the recommended/suggested. (No all of the CLIs support the same set of features yet 😞 )

2021-03-25_11h04_10.png

(1,900 Views)

Bill,

thanks for pointing this out. When reading you post, I was annoyed with myself, because of seemingly not having seen the wood for trees...

When double-checking, I found, the options is not available in my test package

Oli_Wachno_0-1616756555384.png

Maybe, my approach is wrong... I started with download the offline installer package from NI...

BTW. I am using Package Builder 32Bit 20.6

Cheers

Oli

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(1,884 Views)

That is weird as I just tired NIPB 20.6 32 & 64-bit on system and I see the option. However I am trying with TestStand 2019 64-bit. I would add a service request with NI to see what why that might have been hidden or if it is package dependent.

(1,878 Views)

Intermediate Information:

I have opened a service request with NI.

While debugging, we were able to find out, that the option is available when I add from the Installed Packages.

When adding an Installer Products, the option is not available.

NI support is checking with R&D how "intended" this feature is 😉

Happy Easter (whether locked-down or not)

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(1,854 Views)