From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI Package Manager (NIPM)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NIPB: Custom location for ProcessingStage folder

Hi.

When we build packages with the NIPB we often run in to the problem of too long paths for files in the solution. The problems occurs when the package builder creates the ProcessingStage folder in the same folder where the solution file is located. The solution file is usually stored some where in a project folder tree because it needs to be under version control. So when the NIPB creates the ProcessingStage in this location we may already be 50 or so charters in to the path which is limited to 255.

We use both LabVIEW and NIPB to build different packages. In LabVIEW the ProcessingStage folder will be created temporarily in the Package Output Directory, and so in LabVIEW you can solve this problem by making the Package Output Directory a folder on the root of your C drive like "C:\Builds".

So my question is if it in some way is possible to have the NIPB do like the package builder in LabVIEW, and create the ProcessingStage folder in the output directory instead of next to the solution file?

Best regards
Jens Christian Andersen.
CLA, CTA, CPI
Message 1 of 5
(1,493 Views)

J.C., NIPB does not currently support configuring a processing stage directory for a solution, but this is something that we have discussed exposing for the reason you mentioned and so that users can keep the staging directory out of SCC related directories. FWIW, we are also aware of some issues regarding long paths handing that could be improve so that non-TestStand related staging would still work with long paths (TestStand does not support reading and writing files with long paths at this time either).

Thanks for raising this as an issue here so that others are aware of this limitation and can also give input on this if it is impacting them too.

Scott Richardson
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,472 Views)

I have posted an Idea about this very topic. So we all might want to Kudo 😁

Message 3 of 5
(1,463 Views)

Thank Scott, that sounds great. I hope this change to the NIPB will be a part of one of the next feature releases.

Best regards
Jens Christian Andersen.
CLA, CTA, CPI
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,447 Views)

Thank you Bill for pointing out you idea. I have now given it my Kudo 😊

Best regards
Jens Christian Andersen.
CLA, CTA, CPI
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5