NI Package Manager (NIPM)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loading packages with authentication/authorization

For a large population of LV developers we are building configuration management system that includes a repository of redistributable packages. Our first idea is to use nipm at the clients to manage the end users access to packages. 

The repository will contain packages with different levels of sensitivity, i.e. from public to top-secret. To this end we would like all access to the repository to be authenticated and the repository to implement access restrictions based on groups, project roles etc. 

Our second first idea is to use JFrog's Artifactory as the repository implementation.  

Has anyone ever done this or something similar? 

Kind regards, Jan van Mastbergen

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,640 Views)

So I have not done it yet, but I am planning on using Artifactory for my .nipkg distribution. See this article for more details on NI Packages.

I haven't yet figured out a clean way to build packages outside of the various GUIs, but once the packages are built they should be able to be uploaded to artifactory with installation/build instructions. I plan on automating the installation portion using the nipkg command line utility or API. In our case, I think having an external repository like artifactory is the way to go because we need artifacts that are not themselves NI Packages.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,415 Views)

Hi

Using NI Package Manager for this was also our first thought. But for us was more the point how to handle different versions for different projects on the same developer machine. This is not possible with NIPM because all packages are installed on a pre-specified path. So the the next step is to use Nexus as Artifactory (JFrog would also working) and "install" a package to the context of the project, if possible. Analog to the nugets in Visual Studio. But this is not done yet on our side. As a example how it can work, check the gpackage browser https://gpackage.io/

Regards

(2,383 Views)

I have managed to use Artifactory (for storage) along with NIPM (for deployment) but as long as I know there is no authentication method supported by NIPM. Your feed files need to be public (anonymous in Artifactory) in order to be accessible by NIPM. If someone has informations about incoming feature of NIPM or workarounds I'm very interested.

The only workaround we have found to have a "secret" feed is :

- Create a dedicated repository on Artifactory

- Store your feed in a directory with a complex random name

- Disable artifacts browsing on this repository

- Communicate the secret URL to your client

The "protection" lies on the fact that the directory name is complex and unknown but this is a very "light protection" and it is not very convenient to use and maintain.

Arcale - CLA, CLED, CTD - LabVIEW 2b || !2b
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,286 Views)

Hi Nicolas,

your message is quite old ... do you remember how you did define a feed to artifactory within NIPM ? 

Philippe

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(259 Views)