From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI Package Manager (NIPM)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does NIPM determine what else to uninstall?

Noticed when doing an "nipkg.exe remove {package_name}" operation that it ended up removing some additional packages, specifically "ni-datasocket" and "ni-opcenum".

The following packages will be removed:

{internal component we were intentionally removing}, ni-datasocket, ni-opcenum

According to our package repository (using the "nirepo/v1/packages" API), I see

"attributes": {
        "Architecture": "windows_all",
        "CompatibilityVersion": "200601",
        "Depends": "ni-datasocket, ni-labview-2019-runtime-engine-x86",

So it's unclear to me why "ni-opcenum" got involved at all.

And why did "ni-datasocket" get removed? I don't want that to happen. We often install multiple packages on a given machine, and multiple might depend on that. If I wanted it removed, I would do so explicitly.

It didn't automatically remove the runtime engine, so is there something special about that package vs. ni-datasocket? Is there anything else we need to do to make sure nipkg doesn't do more than we asked it to?

It's also frustrating that it proactively *removed* ni-datasocket when we removed our custom internally-built package, but later when we tried to reinstall our package, it complained that "ni-datasocket" isn't installed. So, it appears to be smart enough to *remove* dependencies, but not smart enough to *install* them? That seems backwards.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,102 Views)

From my experience, NIPM will uninstall a dependency package if they are not a dependency for any other packages that will remain installed. I agree we should be an option to not remove unspecified packages.

Message 2 of 2
(890 Views)