From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI Package Manager (NIPM)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error while installing ni-msvcrt-2015

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi MStroven,

have you tried WesW's work around? It should enable you to get running although sending through Windows version, log files etc may be useful for NI to debug further.

Best,

Callum

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13
(1,536 Views)

Well, it looks like Wes didn't actually provide a solution.  From what I've been able to dig up, this is somehow related to a Microsoft KB update: "Windows6.1-KB3118401-x64"  Which I also cannot install successfully...  The "VCRunTimeInstaller_x86.log" file shows the following:

============================================================================
[START] install KB3118401
Cmd: "C:\Windows\sysnative\expand.exe" -F:* "C:\Users\MSTROV~1.LCI\AppData\Local\Temp\nipkg-4d0f-d82f-6d16-1cab\data\Windows6.1-KB3118401-x64.msu" C:\Users\MSTROV~1.LCI\AppData\Local\Temp\
Return: 0
Cmd: "C:\Windows\sysnative\dism.exe" /Online /NoRestart /Add-Package /PackagePath:C:\Users\MSTROV~1.LCI\AppData\Local\Temp\Windows6.1-KB3118401-x64.cab /Quiet
Return: 87
[ END ] install KB3118401

============================================================================

Any idea what a Return code of 87 means?

I've tried downloading and running the KB3118401 patch from microsoft, and I get the error: "The update is not applicable to your computer."

So I'm at a loss.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 13
(1,531 Views)

Hi MStroven,

Sorry you're having trouble!

Just a double-check, this is Windows 7 - correct?

That error 87 can be caused by a number of things, but possibly that it's already been applied (though Windows should be skipping that if so) or Windows Update is not in a good state. My suggestions for next steps are:

1. Reboot (to possibly clear up any Windows Update issue), then retry installing from NIPM again.
  2. Download and install this update, which is a subset of the KB you mention:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48234
    If you are on Windows 7, then you'd want the two with 6.1 in the filename (you can just double click on each filename). If might give you "is already installed on this computer" - this is OK. Then retry installing from NIPM again, and keep going to the next step if it fails again.
  3. Download and install the MSVCRT directly from Microsoft here (both 32 and 64-bit):
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145
  4. Install the placeholder package attached to this post to cause NIPM to skip installing the package, as you've installed the MSVCRT directly in the previous step:
    https://forums.ni.com/t5/NI-Package-Manager-NIPM/Error-while-installing-ni-msvcrt-2015/m-p/4071865#M...

Regards,

- Wes

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 13
(1,474 Views)