cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error while installing ni-msvcrt-2015

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I've been trying to install LabView on my Windows 7 system and consistently run into an error when installing the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Runtime. Looking at the error logs, I'm getting error code 3, that the path does not exist. I don't have any special characters in the account name which may cause the issue according to this KnowledgeBase article https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000fz7ySAA&l=en-IE

I've also checked the temporary folder permissions as outlined here https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA03q000001DkJeCAK&l=en-IE

In total I've tried installing from Packet Manager as well as Offline Media, using different user accounts, and changing the temporary folder. Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what may help? Alternatively, is there a way to avoid installing the Visual C++ Runtime 2015 as this seems to be the only thing triggering this error. I've attached the error message displayed as well as the log. Unfortunately the system language is in German, making things trickier.

Thanks,

Callum

NI_PacketManager_Error.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(5,733 Views)

CallumJ, I suggest that you enable MSI logging as outlined here: Generating and Locating NI Package Manager Error Logs, and then reproduce the issue again using the offline installer, and finally post the generated NIPM log files and MSI log files. The additional logs should be helpful for others to get insight into the cause of the error.

Scott Richardson
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(5,698 Views)

Thanks Scott, attached are logs. I had to run the online installer as the offline didn't generate the logs for some reason.

Best,

Callum

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(5,665 Views)

Hi Callum,

Could you also zip up and attach the contents of the following?
%LocalAppData%\National Instruments\NI Package Manager\Logs\NIPkgLogs

(if it's easier to zip up and attach all of %LocalAppData%\National Instruments\NI Package Manager\Logs -- that's fine, too).

Thanks,

- Wes

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(5,654 Views)

Hey Wes,

sure thing they're attached.

Best,

Callum

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(5,650 Views)

Sorry for the delay... Well, I can see where it's failing, but not why. If you don't mind - for this package, there is actually one level deeper logs that would be helpful. 

From your Windows temp folder (you can open %temp% in Explorer), grab and .zip these files, and attach them to this post:
dd_vcredist*

VCRunTimeInstaller*.log

On my system, for example, it would be these in blue:

WesW_0-1596153803026.png

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(5,633 Views)

Thanks for your help. So interestingly and I'm not sure if it's relevant I don't have any dd_vcredist* logs from the latest install. When I was debugging this process I was worried it might be an issue with the temp path and localisation and so changed my temp folder to a new one directly on C:. I've attached the VCRunTimeInstaller_x86.log from my last attempt as well as a zip file from the old temp folder which has both types of logs. I hope this helps!

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(5,621 Views)
Solution
Accepted by CallumJ

In short, there is something odd going on with this machine, as the package is successfully extracting a .cab file to a temp folder, then immediately trying to install the contents -- but the .cab file it just wrote is missing? (which is where the error 3 "file not found" is coming from). It's likely something unique to this machine, anti-virus getting in the way, or something that Windows 7 is doing.

Unfortunately, I can't really debug further, so you might want to use a different machine or re-image the OS. If not, I attached a placeholder package that, if you install this first, it won't need to install the real failing package (unzip the attachment, double click to install it, then run the LabView installer again). If you don't already have the Microsoft MSVCRT 2015 installed, you can just download and install it directly from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145

Sorry we couldn't fix the root cause, but thank you for the logs and debugging with us.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(5,606 Views)

Thanks Wes, unfortunately this isn't a computer I can reimage easily. I'll double check with the antivirus and otherwise use the workaround for now.

Best wishes,

Callum

Message 9 of 13
(5,572 Views)

I am having this same problem as well.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(5,062 Views)