NI Package Manager (NIPM)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error when uninstalling software - NI Package Manager

I am trying to uninstall all NI software from an embedded machine and am receiving this error.

CAC10268_0-1591807435358.png

I have attached the error logs, any help is appreciated!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(5,201 Views)

Hello,

After taking a quick look at the attached logs, it appears the Windows MSI cache is damaged. Windows stores copies of each MSI installer here so that it has the correct information to remove them. We can attempt to fix this by performing a repair on the affected package:

1) Open NI Package Manager and navigate to the "Installed" tab.

2) Select the checkbox for "Show full version numbers and hidden packages" in the settings (upper right gear icon).

3) Find the affected package, select it, and perform a "Repair".

Note: This may require you to repair some other packages as well, that's okay. This will allow us to repair the Windows Installer cache.

4) Reboot if required and attempt the uninstall again.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to reach back out!

Carter I
Staff Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
Message 2 of 10
(5,149 Views)

I have inherited a computer seems to have 7 versions of LabVIEW installed (Program Files (x86) has LabVIEW 2011, 2012, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 folders) some were installed many years ago. The computer was built about 10 years ago and just upgraded to Windows 10. I am trying to uninstall everything then reinstall 2018 SP1.

When I use NIPM and select "Show full version numbers and hidden packages" I see over 900 entries. I keep getting error messages when I select a few, 5 or so, and try to Remove. I have tried the Repair then Remove but it usually fails when a window pops up called "Select Distribution". I am an IT tech trying to get this running for somebody else so I am not familiar with LabVIEW.

Any suggestions?  Is this salvageable or would a wipe and re-install be called for?

Thanks for any suggestions.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(5,087 Views)

Have a look at https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000P7P4SAK&l=nl-NL

It describes how to start the old uninstaller, it may help in uninstalling older NI software.

EDIT: If you only need that 1 LV version and the PC is newly upgraded to Windows 10, I would probably opt for a clean install of Windows 10 and LV 2018 SP1. It would probably clean up a lot of other cumulative messes as well.

Regards,
André (CLA, CLED)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(5,074 Views)

From my experience recently, once NIPM is installed it takes over all uninstall/repair functionality and does not let you use the older NI Uninstaller.

Message 5 of 10
(5,062 Views)

Looks like what CL_eisenwr wrote is correct, when i went to  <National Instruments>\Shared\NIUninstaller directory and ran the uninst.exe it opened the same NIPM and I had the same problems/error messages when I tried to Remove  items from the Installed tab. 

I also tried using CLI version, wmic product > filename.txt  but ran into errors that way also.

Is there any reliable and safe way to manually uninstall all these products, or is it time to do a re-install?

Thanks for your help.

Is there any reliable and safe way to manually uninstall all these products, or is it time to do a re-install?

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(5,055 Views)

I've just the KB method in the past, but indeed with the latest NI PM is starts NI PM.

Maybe this KB needs a revision with the new capabilities that NI PM now has. Or mention a "starting version .... this KB is not applicable anymore".

Regards,
André (CLA, CLED)
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(5,044 Views)

As I said earlier, you have a lot to uninstall. A fresh Windows install with a fresh LV install would probably take less time and create less issue with poorly uninstalled and re-installed stuff.

Regards,
André (CLA, CLED)
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(5,025 Views)

Andre and others,

Thanks for the help and suggestions. I think we will have to go with re-installing Windows 10. I will be backing everything up for the rest of the day (Wednesday 6/24/2020) so if anyone has any epiphanies please chime in.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(5,022 Views)

I had this exact same issue, I wanted to check the logs but it had a lot of entries, so I opened it with notepad, deleted every line and saved it in order to have a clean file next time I try to uninstall it so it's easier to read, and when I tried, boom, it worked without any errors. ??????

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,456 Views)