From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI Package Management Idea Exchange

Community Browser
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI Package Management Idea Exchange

Post your ideas that are related to NI package management. This includes NI Package Manager, NI Package Builder, creating NI packages (.nipkg), distributing NI packages (.nipkg), managing feeds, and more.

Post an idea

It would be nice to create an offline installer that includes the NIPM bootstrapper installer from the NIPM CLI.

The installer payload would come from any of:

• A feed in the current configuration
  • A feed from a directory on disk
  • A selection of installed packages
  • A selection of packages in a directory on disk

There would be options for indicating:

• Which package(s) would always be installed
  • Whether to include Depends, EULAS, Suggests, and Recommends packages (resolved from current configuration and/or the source feed)

I've recently been able to do this with a ton of scripting but it would likely be so much cleaner and reliable if NIPM managed it all.

Hi,

While trying to automate the building of packages of custom devices I found out that there was no practical way to automate what version the package should have (modifying the xml was not streightforward due to multiple namespaces)

The package builder manual shows "-v" command line option, but that will just print the version of the ni package builder itself. 

I want to propose that a "--set-version" command line option is added, which takes a "x.x.x.x" formatted string and would overwrite the <Version> tag in the .pbs file.  

Thank you!

In distributing software to customers (particularly through an IT group), a lot of the NIPM interaction ends up happening through batch files in an automated way.  In these types of instances we're running into either:

a) we want a hard lock on the software version (software is propagated through internal feeds) or

b) the system may have intermittent/limited internet connectivity or a proxy is in use.

When installing NI products, release feeds are automagically added to the feed list... and I REALLY don't want them there.

There's a nice GUI button to disable this... but again... trying to do thing as "hands-off" for the user as possible.

Supposedly this used to be possible through editing a config file:

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000015CMrSAM&l=en-US

But as of 20.7.X this method no longer seems to work.

It would be great if this could be added to the CLI interface or contained in some sort of accessible file that can be manipulated.

When I go to download a new piece of NI software, there is an online installer which:

1) Installs the latest version of NIPM

2) Registers any needed feeds

3) Presents an installer dialog to user

4) Installs product

5) exits gracefully.

And is <10 KB in size.

It would be incredibly useful to be able to create such an installer through on of the available builder interfaces that points to (for instance) network feeds, or a partner feed, or something like that.

There are currently some "work arounds" but they all are rather complex, clunky, and require a level of BAT file execution that's not really easy.

(I could probably do this easier through LV coding, but if the LVRuntime isn't installed, that doesn't really help me :-))

During installation, we cannot minimize NI Package Manager (NIPM) window even if the window has "_" button at top right of the screen.

I guess this is because the instalaltion window is set to "modal" so, we cannot touch NIPM window.

In addition, we cannot move NIPM window. The window hides my desktop icons so, it's annoying.

It could be usefull to have authentication capabilities in NIPM in order to create private feeds. Feeds stored on Microsoft Windows folder / shared folders can use Windows authentication but there is nothing available for feeds accessed with HTTP requests.

Something like username/password or API Key in HTTP headers, if possible a mechanism to be compatible with all storage plateforms (AWS, Artifactory...).

When you have an update available for a package, you cannot access the details of the package. So you don't have access to the detils of the update. You must manually find the corresponding package in the product view and select the version to install to have access to the details.

At least a way to access to the product details page from the available update page.

This probably applies more to building a NI Package via Application Builder, but would be helpful if you could do it with NI Package Builder (NIPB). It should be easier to call a VI(s) as a custom execute steps of a package. You can do this currently by making your VI follow the LabVIEW CLI pattern. However this does requiring a lot of manual entry from the user to do in NIPB, thus being error prone. Also to do with the Application Builder, you have to make a batch file and add that to project even thought the batch fill does not need to exist other than to do the install/uninstall.

I'd like to suggest that the package manager be updated with a feature to download an offline installation directly, instead of installing on this machine. It would be more convenient to use the package manager to gather the software I need to install on offline machines rather than trying to search the NI website. Then, for some products, I have to install it on my machine first, then create a feed from that installation to move to another machine, a direct offline download would save a lot of time and frustration trying to gather everything for offline machines.

It would nice to have an option to add a file without Discovery to package. Currently they only way it place the file in a folder that the package will deploy which is a bit heavy handed for a single file. This would also give parity to folders that currently have both options. Another related idea, would be to be able to turn Discovery on/off for the inputs via the right-click menu.

In the "NIPM Era", removing all NI Software is very tricky.  First, you run "Add/Remove Programs" from Windows, go to NI Software, and try to get it to Remove All (this sometimes takes more than one pass, as you might have forgotten to ask it to remove updates).  This, in turn, invokes NIPM which does all the work -- NIPM itself "shows up" in the list of files, but cannot be selected (for obvious logical reasons).

Once everything is gone, NIPM still shows up in Programs and Features, but now the "Remove" checkbox is not disabled.  If you select it, you get Dire Warnings, but this is the only way to remove the "last" piece of NI Software (except when it isn't, but that's another story).

It would be nice if this process could be simplified.  One way to do this is to have NIPM detect that you have asked to remove everything except NIPM (because it is disabled), and have a Dialog Box pop up and say "Are you attempting to remove all NI Software, including NIPM?".  You could issue all the Dire Warnings at this point, and if the user chooses "Yes", you could do the appropriate two-step removal process, first removing "everything else", and when done, removing NIPM.  I realize that software removal, like software installation, sometimes requires a Reboot and "post-boot-up" code to "clean things up", but am confident that NI could figure out how to do this safely.

Bob Schor

It would be nice if NI Package Builder could detect and prevent Windows path length limitations. Since where a package solution is built and where it is installed can be different, they typical building of the folder structure to be packed can run into the Windows 260 file path character limit. I would like if NIPB could detect that this will happen and relocate the packing folder automatically to avoid the issue. I would recommend a warning is issued; also, I have no issue that it might take longer to build as it would try and fail then redo in a new location.

Example:

image-2020-01-02-16-02-37-354.png

When installing any package from ni, they are auto registering feeds for themselves and their dependencies. It will be good to add to feature so that when configuring and building a package, we can also specify a feed name and uri. The package will automatically register the feed when installing it, just like package from ni does. 

There is really no good way of auto-register a feed when install the package. NIPM API will stuck when running as an post install executable. The executable will be able to execute with no issue when run not at post install. The other way is to directly manipulate with the nipkg.ini which should really be avoided from end user.

As discussed in this thread, it would be helpful to be able to programmatically change the NI Package Manager settings. I personally am interested in changing the highlighted defaults. Maybe this could be done via the NIPM command line interface. Or a setting file, so it could be deployed as a NI Package.

Settings of InterestSettings of Interest

NIPM of offline SPB images to allow RTE to be installed independently without having to install the LV development package. Imagine the user is keeping the SPB image (which is supposed to have almost all software packages) in company server, only to find out that the RTE cannot be installed at end user PC without having to install the development package. and offline package installation that is supposed to be offline, is subjected to poor internet connection. my attempt failed 2 hours in... Smiley Surprised , have to resort to individual RTE download soon after...

better still if NIPM can capture the "missing RTE" dialog during application launch and launches itself automatically with option for users to point to local repository locations for "off-lined" offline installation 

It would be helpful to have options in NI Package Manager that would show the Major & Minor updates for installed software as well the patches. Ideally this would be a configurable in NIPM to allow the users to see what level they would like. This has come up in a few forum threads lately.

Thread 1

Thread 2

there must be a better way to uninstall NIPM without having to uninstall all NI software as a prerequisite, at least that I hope there is

knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000kJ6oSAE&l=en-US

do consider allowing NIPM to be uninstalled independently, as I believe most of the pre-NIPM era users have and still require those 8.5-201x LabVIEWs (for maintenance and backward compatibility with legacy hardware) that were already installed properly (with kinks ironed out). NIPM to rebuild the feedlist based on pre-NIPM-install NI software products, maybe? 

displaying the package size in the feed list can give user an idea when to schedule installations/updates based on their network traffic trends, like in Update Service

think NI should allow the already stable and robust Update Service to download the latest packages/update and install them, while continue to fix/upgrade NIPM, Shouldn't put all eggs in the same basket. The current and recently updated NIPM is so frustrating that it can fail before initiating the download. the previous version kicked the bucket after hours into downloading, failing within inches from the finishing line. please consider not all users have fast and reliable internet connectivity.

an avenue for reporting bugs/error? other users encountering the same issue can also contribute more information for better debugging... post can be internally-archived/removed once issue is resolved 

earlier today, updated the NIPM and now the mouseover event over the feed list for updates (over 2 seconds) crashed the NIPM (Debug/Close program) without any option of sending error reports