NI Package Management Idea Exchange

Community Browser
Top Authors
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI Package Management Idea Exchange

Post your ideas that are related to NI package management. This includes NI Package Manager, NI Package Builder, creating NI packages (.nipkg), distributing NI packages (.nipkg), managing feeds, and more.

Post an idea

When creating NI Packages with NI Package Builder, you are currently stuck with the limited set of categories/sections. It would help if we could customize this field.

• NI Package Builder

I propose to allow adding dependencies in NI Package Builder that is not part of the active solution - and that are not NI packages. It should be possible to press "add dependency" and then type in the package name as free text

When adding a Package Installer, NI Package Builder is currently limited to only configuring the options on the top level, first page of a suited installer (i.e. "NI-IMAQdx", etc.), but not configuration of the second page "Additional items you may want to install:", where it lists "recommended" items.  This means one cannot create a fully customized NI Software suited installation (like was possible in the past with the .spec file).

NIPB needs to analyze the installer configuration and expose a list of recommends/suggests for each top-level package or for the whole installer itself, just like Install.exe does.

It would be helpful to have the ability to duplicated portions of a Solution, such as package. This would speed up the creation of similar items using an existing as a starting point. I was looking for a button and/or right-click entry to duplicate a Package. However, the ability to duplicate would helpful throughout the NIPM GUI.

0 Kudos

It would be nice to be able to customize what is shown in the NIPM installation window while a Custom Execute is running. Frequently I am calling cmd.exe to run custom actions, so the executing cmd.exe is not very helpful as that is just means to calling something else with arguments. I would be helpful to be able to give a better description to the users of what was happening during that call. I would be ok if it was just an addition to what is shown now.