NI Package Management Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CL_eisenwr

NIPB: Add option to Add File without Discovery

It would nice to have an option to add a file without Discovery to package. Currently they only way it place the file in a folder that the package will deploy which is a bit heavy handed for a single file. This would also give parity to folders that currently have both options. Another related idea, would be to be able to turn Discovery on/off for the inputs via the right-click menu.

APena
Status changed to: Development Started

Scott_Richardson
Active Participant

Bill, can you give more details about the use case where this would be helpful? When you do, can you consider whether you are trying to prevent discovery of the files' dependencies, whether you only wanting the user to drag the file and not its dependencies to a package, and/or if the file is a TestStand file, are you wanting the file to not be processed, i.e. resaved and fixing any links in the file to other files?

Scott Richardson
CL_eisenwr
Active Participant

I make some LabVIEW developer tools that I am deploying via NI Packages. Some of these are only dependent on built-in LabVIEW Vis. If I am trying package a single VI, I am handling its dependencies via the Package's dependencies be it NI code or my other packages. I think my case is different as I am trying to deploy source VIs not TestStand sequences. Also grabbing dependencies of code that is already part of LabVIEW seems silly at best or distributive at worse since it could wipe out patched code.