From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI Package Management Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
cbutcher

Documentation: Specify which dependency will be automatically chosen/installed from a group

The Control File Attributes page shows as an example near the bottom the following:

In the following example, the Depends attribute declares a dependency on package01 version 2.2.1 or later, and states that package03 is an alternative package that satisfies the dependency on package02.

Depends: package01 (>= 2.2.1), package02 | package03

However, it doesn't indicate which package will be (automatically) installed if both package02 and package03 are available in feeds, and neither is installed.

If the first is always the chosen package, can this please be clarified in documentation?

If the order does not determine the package (but instead it depends on the feed, etc) could this either be

a) changed to order, or

b) clarified in documentation along with some manner to manipulate the preference? 

GCentral
1 Comment
cbutcher
Trusted Enthusiast

I took another look at this today and changed my prototype NIPKG-making build system branch to produce packages that specify a different PROVIDES tag for each package.

Previously I'd hoped to use a single PROVIDES/DEPENDS tag for Debug/Release pairs, but that made the installation of one over the other seemingly unpredicatable (i.e. sometimes dependencies would be satisfied by installing a Debug copy, sometimes a Release copy).

My testing seems to suggest that the installed dependency when you specify Depends: A|B is not always A (i.e. depending on order of listing in the control file).

GCentral