NI Package Management Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CL_eisenwr

Allow additional Categories/Sections for (Packages built in LabVIEW)

It would be helpful to be able to define additional Categories/Sections for NI Packages. This would help users quickly narrow down searches to find packages. This is needed since there is not a way to filter the packages by feed in NI Package Manager.

Current NI Package Categories/Sections

2019-07-08_14h18_38.png

[Edit: 2022-May-10] Moving to LabVIEW Idea Exchange as NI Package Manager and NI Package Builder support custom category values.

CL_eisenwr
Active Participant

This should be moved to the new NI Package Management Idea Exchange

Status changed to: Development Started

Scott_Richardson
Active Participant

Hey Bill, NI Package Management packages with customer category attributes can be built using nipkg and NI Package Builder but not LabVIEW Package Builder. The NIPM Browse Products tab supports filtering on the strict list of NI categories in the left side of the tab, but the tab is focused on packages downloadable from ni.com. NIPM's Installed, Updates and Packages tabs do have a Category dropdown to filter packages and the list shows the categories for the packages that are displayed, including custom categories. 

I know you posted this idea a while ago, but can you clarify the workflow within NIPM that this would be helpful to you based on where we are now?

Scott Richardson
CL_eisenwr
Active Participant

At this point, I think the only improvement would be the ability to customize category the NI Package build specification. I have been able to do it by hand editing the .lvproj file, but I would prefer do it in the GUI.