NI Package Management Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nicolas_Bats

Add authentication capabilities to NIPM feeds

It could be usefull to have authentication capabilities in NIPM in order to create private feeds. Feeds stored on Microsoft Windows folder / shared folders can use Windows authentication but there is nothing available for feeds accessed with HTTP requests.

Something like username/password or API Key in HTTP headers, if possible a mechanism to be compatible with all storage plateforms (AWS, Artifactory...).

Arcale - CLA, CLED, CTD - LabVIEW 2b || !2b
6 Comments
APena
Status changed to: Development Started

andre.buurman@carya
Active Participant

The product won't be mature without it. E.g. when I'm going to use Systemlink with the org model it allows me to guard of access to a repo, but only internally. Server to clients. Once the url is deployed to targets anyone can access it via package manager,  not a nice thought. Add security capabilities in the light of systemlink use cases for securing and separating access to hosted resources.

Regards,
André (CLA, CLED)
felipefoz

Do we have any progress on that? Or is still in consideration?

JoGra

Hi, 

I would also like to ask for an update on this feature. 

We deploy apps through the very convinient no package manager, but the missing  authentication means that no secure feed can be used to distribute updates.

Simple API key compatible with s3 would be ideal.

Thank you! 

Scott_Richardson
Active Participant

Hi @JoGra and felipefoz, who more recently added comments with interest in this capability. We have not been able to prioritize this yet, but it is something that we are interested in supporting. I cannot give any more specifics at this time. Note that a predecessor requirement to supporting authenticated feeds will be to prevent NIPM from blocking any redirected URLs used when downloading package files from these types of hosting services. 

Scott Richardson
JoGra

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the feedback.
I understand that more work might be necessary, as originally the NIPM was intended to distribute the NI packages. 
Maybe some of the work how systemlink server acess an S3 bucket could be utelized?

Best regards,

Jonathan