From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI Linux Real-Time Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cRIO image itself from USB without existing software loaded.

I am looking to be able to commission a cRIO-9038 fresh from the box with only code/image/ramdisk/whatever on a USB stick. 

This is necessary for my customer to be able to deploy our product in the field.  

We don't have the ability for them to have a PC with NI Max to install software on the cRIO.  

I have seen several posts where people have been trying to accomplish this, but no specific examples of it.  

If anyone can assist, I would appreciate it.

Regards,

Dan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,405 Views)

This is not something that NI tests or has documented. I don't think we can provide any specific steps. Would it be possible to keep sensitive information and files on the VI but use the cRIO with the software installed to it? 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,371 Views)

I'm not sure I exactly understand your suggestion.  

@tic.not.tock wrote:

Would it be possible to keep sensitive information and files on the VI but use the cRIO with the software installed to it? 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,358 Views)

Hello daufdi13, did you ever find a solution?  I have a similar situation that could benefit from your solution.

Thanks, 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(484 Views)

Yes,

I was able to start with the NIRECOVERY and customize it to my needs.  

Restore NI Linux RT Target to Factory Default Configuration - NI

I am afraid I cannot give you the specific details regarding the customization.  

I will tell you that it was not a trivial task and requires some knowledge of Linux OS and manipulating images.  

Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(479 Views)