From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI Linux Real-Time Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sniff packet using libpcap

hi

i have some issues. i want to use NI cRIO 9068 as packet sniffer (just like wireshark but only to sniff GOOSE packet) over my network.

to start i need some info.

1- what version of Linux RTOS that NI cRIO 9068 use?

2- do 'libpcap / winpcap' works with Linux RTOS?

3- do i need any .dll (what is it?) to do RT development using windows environment?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,999 Views)

Hi amatz11,

To answer your questions:

1. The 9068 uses an in-house created distribution called NI Linux Real Time which is based off of the Ångström meta-distribution meant for embedded systems.
  2. The libpcap library, if compiled for arm, should probably work. There are some ISA considerations and calling convention concerns (use softfp), but most versions of the library that you'll find for arm use that convention anyway or are very clearly labeled as hardfp.
  3. The library format for on-target work is the shared object, or .so file. This needs to be made available on the target by placing it in one of the library folders or providing the full on-target path to the library from the call library function node in your RT application.

That should at least get you started, note, however, that you should enable console out on the target and be familiar with linux networking in order to use a wireless adapter with the 9068, as this is not supported by NI.

Message 2 of 2
(3,101 Views)