From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI Linux Real-Time Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Realtek Ethernet Adapter Issues

Solved!
Go to solution

So I have an x86 based Linux RT system and it isn't recognizing either of my Realtek gigabit GBE ethernet devices.  I've read a few threads where various ethernet adapters should just work here.  But I'm just one of the unlucky ones that has an ethernet adapter that isn't showing up in ifconfig.  

I'm not much of a linux guy, but I found some drivers listed here, and a git here.  I've installed various essentials packages with:

opkg install packagegroup-core-buildessential

opkg install packagegroup-core-buildessential-dev

But now I'm lost.  Autorun.sh complains that files or directories don't exist, make doesn't work and generates errors and I don't really know what to try.

Is there just an opkg package I don't know of that has Realtek drivers that I can try?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,659 Views)

Hi Hooovahh,

I am having exactly the same issue as you. Did you find out the SOP to compile Realtek's driver successfully in NI Linux Real-Time?

Thanks

Ting

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,257 Views)

NILRT provides more drivers in the feed than what's pre-installed in images. Try installing the "kernel-modules" package first to get additional drivers, then re-connect your device or reboot.

Message 3 of 6
(2,253 Views)

Hi Haris,

Thanks for the memo.

However, can I get the "kernel-modules" package be offline installed?

The target's eth0 driver has not been installed so that I can't use opkg install command inline.

Thank you,

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,246 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Hooovahh

You can, but note that "kernel-modules" is a meta-package which installs no files. Instead, it just provides dependencies to other packages ("kernel-module-<something>") that actually contain what you need. You can find all of them in the feed: https://download.ni.com/#ni-linux-rt/feeds/<VERSION>/x64/main/x64/ .

I suspect that you only need one of the "kernel-module-rtl<something>" packages for your Realtek adapter.

Message 5 of 6
(2,243 Views)

Hi Haris,

I found these Realtek packages.

Tinnotek_0-1656389425505.png

It's a pity that NI doesn't provide RTL8111/RTL8168's package.

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,233 Views)