NI Linux Real-Time Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing from a Linux RT (cRIO-9030) with embedded UI

Solved!
Go to solution

Using an Invoke Method, I am able to creat an image of the cRIO embedded UI user front panel to a JPEG or PNG file. 

I'm now looking for a way to send this JPEG or PNG file to a cRIO attached printer via the USB or serial interface ports.  Has anyone out there done this or know of Linux drivers that would support a printer?

Thanks,
Mark

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(5,596 Views)

I've at least installed and prodded around using CUPS on a 9068, and printed out a test page, so I know it's possible but it took some digging and setup. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(5,585 Views)

Wow!  Thats great.  Can you provide any more details on the setup, interface (usb or serial) and printer model you have it working on?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(5,574 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Smitty

I actually set it up to print to a network-attached printer here in the office (one that supports printing in PCL/PS), not a USB-based printer, but basically I would recommend digging around for details on how to setup whatever printer you are interested in on Linux. Something like searching "cups installation $PRINTER_MODEL" or "cups ppd $PRINTER_MODEL" (.ppd is the file format that cups uses to define how to interact with a printer). You may need to also install foomatic, a database and management engine for the various .ppd files to support many popular printers

Message 4 of 17
(5,563 Views)

Brad,

Getting back around to trying to print on my Linux cRIO using CUPS.  A few questions:

1)  Do you have details on how you installed CUPS on cRIO?  Did you use OPKG Package manager?  OPKG is installed on my cRIO.  However, if I try to invoke OPKG Install CUP from a shell, I get a Can not create lock file - permission denied.  How to login to shell as ADMIN??

2)  ANy other details you used to get network printer to work would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(5,403 Views)

For the first question, see http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/9822A3A39B1D0CBB86257C55006B962A

For the second, it's been too long and I didn't really take notes on what I'd done, what I do recall is that I decided to enable remote CUPS administration to simplify configuration (the default configuration for CUPS is to enable configuration through a webUI only from the same machine, see http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2016/02/cups-admin-ui-access/ e.g., there are many good guides out there.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(5,397 Views)

Hello! I'm also trying to set up a printer with the cRIO.

I used "su admin" to get admin access (I left the password blank and it worked).

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(5,226 Views)

Hi gjmontagner,

I don't really see the question in your post. Are you just posting to express that you, too, want to setup printing? I've pointed out some resources to get started and try out.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(5,176 Views)

Hi BradM,

Yes, I also want to set up a printer on Linux RT. I've only now seen the resources you posted, thanks. I'll try accessing cups web UI, which is currently not working. I've been able to install cups already, but can't configure it, so I'll try following the advice on one of the links you posted.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(5,174 Views)

Hello Brad.
I've come back to this topic, and am trying to setup a printer with the cRIO-9035. I followed some steps on the link you posted, and am accessing the CUPS webUI from my computer, but when I try to access "Add Printer", it prompts me for username and password, and none of the options I try work. Have you had this kind of problem?

Also, have you installed drivers for the printer you used? I found the ones for mine, but am not sure about how to install them. They come either in a .deb or .rpm format

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(5,074 Views)