NI Linux Real-Time Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI Linux RT and PXI Targets (Will ETS be phased out?)

We have used LabView RT (Pharlap ETS) in PXI/PCI systems for 15 years with good success running a fast and complex control algorithm (running NI general purpose data acquisition cards).

I have periodically seen remarks in the NI Community that NI intends to standardize on NI Linux RT across all hardware, but very little more than that.

The Pharlap ETS manufacturer (IntervalZero) discontinued ETS in 2011, Starting 2012 their website only says: "As ETS is a discontinued product, Software Development Kits (SDKs) for ETS are available for sale to existing ETS customers only."

We are worried that ETS will be dropped with either no support for RT on PXI, or a ton of re-programming needed to adapt our existing code to NI Linux RT.

Please comment with whatever you know! ETS at end of life? The future of RT on the PXI bus?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,235 Views)

I can comment on this! At NIWeek this year, we will release NI Linux RT support for our PXI hardware. A subset of drivers will be supported this year, with more to come. We'll have support first on the 8880 and 8840QC controllers and will add to that list; and yes you will be able to upgrade existing 8880s and 8840QCs that are running Phar Lap ETS to NI Linux RT. 

As the Linux RT support ramps up on PXI, we will ramp down support for Phar Lap. However, since not all drivers are supported on Linux RT PXIs, we won't be completely ramping down support for Phar Lap until that happens. As far as re-programming, we expect that your existing code can largely stay the same, save for a possible few places where the OS has changed quite a bit (for example, memory reporting is different on Linux RT than on Phar Lap). 

I hope that helps-- let me know if there are more questions! 

Thanks,

Rita Prather
Software Product Manager
rita.prather@ni.com
National Instruments
Message 2 of 5
(3,193 Views)

@cool_ranch_doRITAs wrote:

I can comment on this! At NIWeek this year, we will release NI Linux RT support for our PXI hardware.

Woohoo!

DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshops (Fab, Steve, Brian and me)
Release Automation Tools for LabVIEW (CI/CD integration with LabVIEW)
HSE Discord Server (Discuss our free and commercial tools and services)
DQMH® (The Future of Team-Based LabVIEW Development)

Message 3 of 5
(3,185 Views)

Hello,

This is a great news! I get lots of trouble with pharlap (no Cpp support, LTS memory problem, difficulties with thread...)

Do you think it will also be possible to convert desktop PC to ni linux RT? ( I still a lot of bench with this kind of product.)

Is there is a beta or something like that already avalaible (i don't see anything on your github platform)

Best regards,

Beranger SIX

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,918 Views)

NI has made statements on this:

http://www.ni.com/product-documentation/8239/en/

"NOTE National Instruments is not currently planning on supporting conversion of desktop PCs to NI Linux Real-Time targets. Conversion of desktop PCs to Phar Lap ETS targets is supported."

and NI will not be updating the existing Pharlap supported equipment list:

"NOTE The 2014+ hardware architectures have been tested and confirmed to work with LabVIEW 2018.. NI does not plan on testing new RT PC compatible hardware for future version of LabVIEW."

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,900 Views)