NI Linux Real-Time Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mixed Mode of TCP/IP and RAW Package in ARM base Som9651

Dear All:

I'm working on a protocol runs on Ethernet, it has to accept certain type id packages, i.e. 88ba, and it have to response to that package, but in LabVIEW, it is not possible to send/receive RAW package from Ethernet, what's make things more complex is the same protocol send 88ba frame as a handshake/heartbeat message, after proper response received, it will then starts talk on TCP.

Are there any good idea to deal with that? My initial idea is to make a dedicated PHYa to monitor 88ba frame type, and response to handshake/hreartbeat frame in FPGA level, and use  PHYb which comes with Labview driver and talks on TCP, but there will be one problem, the MAC address should not be the same, or there might be some kind of conflict.

Can I do it in one PHY With everything SOM 9651 have offered? and if I still can make most my programing work on LabVIEW that would be nice! Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,971 Views)

Is this an application that needs to work with IEC 61850? I think you'd only be complicating things unneccesarily by putting the better part of a MAC in FPGA fabric, especially given the two-phase nature of the communication you're describing.

With appropriate capabilities granted to the LVRT runtime (see: Re: Raw packets support in LabView RT for details), you could write a helped library that would work with the interface at a sufficiently low-level to support extra Ethernet-based communication (beyond TCP or UDP).

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,746 Views)