From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI Linux Real-Time Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mismatch between glibc on sbRIO and windows toolchain

Hello,

I've been struggling for a while know with an issue until I found the source.

I'm compiling c code on a windows machine using the Eclipse by NI and have managed to build many pieces of code and libraries.

I have an opensource library which I would like to use in my code so I've downloaded the source code and used the configure and make commands on the linux RTOS installed on an sbRIO-9607.

I've copied the generated .so file from the device to my windows computer and linked to my code but when I try to compile I get an error of undefined reference to __signgam@GLIBC_2.23.

I've checked the device and indeed as written in the documents the OS uses glibc 2.23 but the libraries which are on my windows OS which came with the eclipse installation and are the same in the oecore-i686-cortexa9-vfpv3-toolchain-5.0 (1).tar use glibc 2.21

Has anyone else encounter such an issue, or have suggestions?

Thank you

Roie

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,115 Views)

Hi Roie,

The version of glibc in the GCC toolchain on ni.com often lags behind the installed version on NI Linux RT controllers. Many glibc symbols are tagged with a version, like the one you encountered here. You therefore cannot load those binaries with a lower glibc. I can offer a couple solutions that might work:

(1) Download a more recent version of the GCC ARM toolchain (http://www.ni.com/download/labview-real-time-module-2018/7813/en/) which contains glibc 2.23. The glibc's in this toolchain will matches  NILRT 2018 systems.

(2) Simply build everything with a lower version glibc, E.g. build all these SOs on your desktop using the oecore-i686-cortexa9-vfpv3-toolchain-5.0 toolchain. Glibc is backward compatible, so binaries linked to glibc 2.21 (on your desktop) will safely load in 2.23 (on target).

(3) Similar to (2), but build everything on the controller instead of your desktop. This will link everything to 2.23.

(4, if you're adventurous) Copy the target's filesystem (the whole / directory) to your desktop and use that instead of the sysroot bundled with the toolchain. I would give 1-3 a shot first before venturing down this path!

Regards,

Haris

Message 2 of 2
(2,043 Views)