NI Linux Real-Time Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDS camera

Hi

I am  using myRio and I try to connect IDS camera.

I try to do all the regular stuff (install IMAQdx on the target) and non of them is working.

finiilay the IDS supplier gave me a linux driver for the camera with these instructions:

"to install the driver you have to extract the files to the root directory and then to run the setup (make sure you are the root). Please run first

cd /;  tar -xf /ueyesdk-<target>-<version>.tar

and then:

/usr/local/share/ueye/bin/ueyesdk-setup.sh"

I manage to follow these instructions but at the end I get an error message saying:

"Reload and retrigger udev to apply USB device rules...."

I try to use "udevadm control --reload-rules" but this is not working.

on top of every thing when I finish the process and restart the device it not starting properly and I need to format the disk to make it work.

any ideas?

Thanks

Eviatar

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,516 Views)

If you use a USB3 camera that is compatible with the "USB3 Vision" standard, it will "just work" with IMAQdx and be usable with IMAQdx, LabVIEW, MAX, etc.

IDS has only just recently started putting USB3 Vision capability into their cameras. You may need to see if the model you are using is compatible with the standard or if it can be made compatible with a firmware update. Otherwise you may find it easier to simply switch cameras.

Even if you get IDS's uEye SDK up and running (of which I am doubtful, as there are so many things in their binary package that would need to be compiled just right), you will likely only be able to use it from a C application. I would doubt that their LabVIEW SDK would be compatible with a Linux target.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,841 Views)

Thank you for the answer.

One thing I forget to mention is that the camera do work on the labview running on my desktop computer (Win 7). does it make any difference?

Eviatar

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,841 Views)

On Windows I believe they provide a Microsoft DirectShow wrapper that makes it work natively with the DirectShow support in IMAQdx.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,841 Views)

OMGs, that's a horrible piece of code.

These folks didn't even read/understand the Unix elementary manuals - otherwise they would have known they've placed the files into the wrong locations (see FHS specification).

And proprietary drivers are always horrible to handle (even if they're in userland).

Especially in linux embedded world, where customizations are daily business and ABIs are never guaranteed.

The standard Linux interface for cameras is V4L. Nobody seriously wants to rewrite applications just to use proprietary drivers, for just a single piece of hw.

General advice: never ever buy devices where do don't get proper driver source code.

Oh, and just look at the symbols of this monster:

* lots of C++ bloat

* lot's "OS"-wrappers, even for things that's supposed to be done via compiler intrinsics (eg. byte swapping, string primitives)

* strange crypto pieces (WTH does a camera use blowfish for ?)

From QM pov, I'd never ever let that code into production.

Linux Embedded / Kernel Hacker / BSP / Driver development / Systems engineering
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,807 Views)