NI Linux Real-Time Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IC-3173 shows up in MAX, then stops responding to MAX or responds to pings

I have a new out of the box IC-3173 with Linux. It would not initially appear in MAX. After using a monitor and keyboard I was able to find it's IP address and ping it. Then I forced MAX to recognize it by using the "Create new" feature in MAX and using its IP address. That worked once. Since that time it no longer responds to pings and only shows in MAX as disconnected. I have two blinking lights showing it is in Safe Mode and I know that the Ethernet cables and laptop's Ethernet port are OK because I am talking to two other IC-3173's on the same switch. I've plugged a monitor and keyboard into the unit and it shows Linux command prompt and looks normal to me but I know nothing about Linux. What more can I do to make the system respond?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,476 Views)

Hi Old_Fossil,

A few pieces of information may be useful here. What version of the NI software are you using with the controller? Do you have gigabit ethernet cameras connected to the controller as well? Is your host PC directly connected to the camera, or is both the industrial controller and the host PC part of a larger network? There have been reported issues when all of the interfaces on the controller (to cameras and to the host PC) are all link-local.

Regardless, this seems like a reasonable issue to take up with official support (either email support@ni.com or go to ni.com/support), as this forum in particular is more suited to folks trying to work with their targets in ways that are enabled but not strictly supported by National Instruments.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,446 Views)

Thanks BradM,

That was the apparent problem. The unit had already been installed in the electrical panel with all cable connected by the technicians before I ever saw it. Another issue for some of the other 3173's seemed to be that my laptop was using two Ethernet ports, one wireless. Disabling the wireless Ethernet port helped.

Old_Fossil

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,436 Views)