NI Linux Real-Time Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C/C++ development on Linux RT - preferred tools?

Hello everyone,

What tools do you use for your C/C++ development for Linux RT targets? NI has historically provided GCC and Eclipse installers, but we’d like to check in with the community to see if those toolchains are still preferred or if there are more popular tools that we could provide.

Please feel free to weigh in!

Thanks,

Rita Prather
Software Product Manager
rita.prather@ni.com
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,616 Views)

I'd like a linux cross-compile solution to do my C/C++ development for NI Linux RT. My preferred scenario would be development tools on Ubuntu x86 that allow me to cross compile to ARM. Eclipse is ok. Please consider Visual Studio Code. It's also cross-platform. Having a CMake based solution (example) is also desired.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,614 Views)

eclipse is absolutely not preferred .. as it's quite archaic in how it manages projects

Visual Studio Code is a much more preferred IDE..  and help from NI to get cmake scripts for cross compiling to ARM and x64

Message 3 of 6
(3,417 Views)
Gcc and bazel
Stephen B
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,030 Views)

We are investigating a project to pull some of the ROS 2 libraries ( over to a CRIO 9045 running LV 20.0).  The preferred method is cmake). We had a question of how to setup the right settings to cross compile.  Has any used cmake before with success?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,027 Views)

Hey nibuddy1777,

I'd suggest making a new thread next time you have questions like this. That being said, check out the NI Linux Real-Time Cross Compiling: Using the NI Linux Real-Time Cross Compile Toolchain with Visual... tutorial. It uses Visual Studio Code and CMake to cross compile. 

Note that there are a few errors and outdated things in that tutorial so you might have to work through them but it should be doable if you're already familiar with CMake and cross compiling. 

Charlie J.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,021 Views)