From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI Linux Real-Time Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS update of 8840 for installation for NI Linux RT

Solved!
Go to solution

We need NI Linux RT on PXIe 8840 quad core with BIOS 2.17.1249.

First we need the newest BIOS to select Linux RT in the BIOS i think because I don't see it. See https://www.ni.com/de-de/support/documentation/compatibility/20/ni-linux-real-time-operating-system-...

From this homepage https://www.ni.com/de-de/support/documentation/compatibility/20/ni-linux-real-time-operating-system-... take the newest bios 2.1.7f0 and created a USB stick.

On the target the stick is 1. in the boot priority but it doesn't work.

Should I format the stick in Windows in FAT32 or NTFS? Does it matter?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,274 Views)

I think USB sticks are usually formatted as FAT 32. Not all USB memory sticks are equal in quality, and you may also want to have a more then one available. 

You don't say why you are updating the BIOS. If it is to install Linux, this document may prove useful:

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA03q000000x4CsCAI&l=en-US

David C
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,245 Views)

So, i could updated the BIOS and choose Linux RT to install.

But now there is a error after formation the controller with Linux RT System Image for Q1 2020. After this I get the error if I want to install software over MAX: An error occurred when calling the installed and available programs. Operation failed.

Do I have an old sofrtware installed on host?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,209 Views)

Once the latest base image (which is the NI LInux RT OS and other files) is installed on the target, the additional packages you select will be downloaded directly from the online repositories (download.ni.com) by the PXI controller.

If the target (PXI or cRIO) cannot connect to the internet it will attempt to download the packages from the host PC. I need to try this, but I also believe in the latest version of MAX the base image can use the host as a proxy to access download.ni.com.

Things to check:

1. If the target is supposed to have access to the internet, check the connection.

2. Make sure you have all the packages installed if you are installing from the target.

If the above does not resolve the issue, post pictures of the errors you are seeing. A picture is worth a thousand words.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,192 Views)

I installed LinuxRT System Image for Q1 2020 on host and could install all software with LabVIEW Real-Time 2019 and VeriStand 2019 on target. But when I try to deploay I get two errors:

1) Deployment Error Project Window.lvlib:Project Window.vi >> Project Window.lvlib:Command Loop.vi >> Project Window.lvlib:Connect to System.vi Error 363516 occurred at Project Window.lvlib:Project Window.vi >> Project Window.lvlib:Command Loop.vi >> Project Window.lvlib:Connect to System.vi Possible reason(s): LabVIEW: (Hex 0x58BFC) Der Client hat keinen Zugriff auf die angegebene Ressource.

2) NI VeriStand Gateway.lvlib:VeriStand Server Wrapper.vi >> NI VeriStand Server.lvlib:NI VeriStand Server.vi >> Waveform Services.lvlib:Clear Active Streams.vi >> Server TCP Interface.lvlib:TCP Send Target System Command.vi:5680001 >> Server TCP Interface.lvlib:TCP Send Target Message.vi:890001 <append>========================= NI VeriStand: Controller

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,187 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Rokot

Solution:

1) changed the OS in the VeriStand project to Linux_x64

2) built the model in Simulink with NIVeriStand_Linux_64.tlc

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,166 Views)

For those who want to update their PXI-8840 to NI Linux RT: I am happy to say that I managed to successfully install it on our PXI-8840 dual core.

There are some minor steps to be taken (not explicitly stated in the procedure) in the bios settings while upgrading the bios.

>Ensure that Legacy USB Support is set to ENABLED

I my case it was greyed out; so I had to go to the LabVIEW RT menu and select Windows/OtherOS.

Another minor thing is that eventually the linux RT OS boot screen shows a serial# error. This is a known issue. It does not prevent you from using serial ports.

This is the reply from NI support on the issue.

[..] the 8840 Dual Core (i5) is an older controller that doesn't support having the serial number programmed into the BIOS. Therefore, there's nothing to report back to MAX or LinuxRT. In Phar-Lap systems, there was a mechanism to pull apart from the MAC address and just report that as a serial number, but this doesn't exist for LinuxRT [..].

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,996 Views)