NI Linux Real-Time Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9066 strange internal disk issue - drive full?

BradM - Thanks for the offer/suggestion... we've fast-tracked migration to SCP so I think at this point we'll just jump right to that solution and manually secure FTP on all our targets in the interim (I built an SSH script which makes it pretty quick).

ScotSalmon - We jumped into developing this application for Vxworks targets only about a year before the Linux targets entered the market, and the developers included provisions for FTP credentials. So in our case, once we actually discovered it was possible/necessary, switching to credentialed FTP access was painless. To answer your question I'd say there was very little value to having anonymous access, but I can see how older applications may be in a different situation.

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 30
(1,463 Views)

Hi Scot !!

Our equipment consists of several cFP-2120, cRIO-9076 and cRIO-9035. Each of them, runs in a different remote area and is connected to a 3G router (in order to transmit once/day the raw data and send stats every 8h). The cFPs/cRIOs upload automatically the (zipped) raw data using FTP.

On the contrary, when we want to download a configuration file, we use the default (unprotected) FTP server to transmit that file to the cFP/cRIOs (although the port 21 was accessed 'through' another port of 3G modem).

Looking around for this issue, I found the following table: https://winscp.net/eng/docs/protocols

It states that FTP is still the fastest protocol for transfering files and if used with a password over TLS that would be sufficient for our purposes.

Therefore I vite for disabling anonymous FTP (by default) and use instead FTPS.

But the gratest (for me) would be a User Guide on how dropbox (or other sync s/w) could be installed on RT targets, as a low priority service running in the background.

Kind regards

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 30
(1,463 Views)

Hi all, 

I have the same problem:

Because of virus attack problem on my cRIO 9066 (virus description: IMG001.exe; Info.zip etc) cRIO controller has a full internal hard drive. Usually when this happens, because of the full HDD, the cRIO goes to Safe Mode automatically. Then we connect to the system using SSH via Putty during Safe Mode and login with our user name and password. Then by using the Linux shell commands we delete some of the above mentioned files (which are copied throughout all hard drive structure) in order to free the minimum hard drive space (6 or 7MB) so the cRIO can reboot normally. Then reboot and the system is started in Run mode. The final step is to delete all virus files using FTP transfer. The system is far away from our location.

Two days ago the same thing happened and after deleting some virus files and reboot, the cRIO is again in safe mode AND no longer accepting the login information i.e. SSH is giving Access denied message always (100% sure that i am typing correct user name and password). Also we are not able to connect to the system from MAX even though the system can be ping-ed. Also FTP is not working too.

Any ideas how to restore the cRIO? 

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 30
(1,448 Views)

Not remotely.  You might be able to restore if you can get access to it and use the Ethernet Over USB.  And I would recommend a full format and reinstall everything.  This is also why RAD is a useful tool (just load the image after formatting and you are done).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 24 of 30
(1,441 Views)

Hi 

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 30
(1,439 Views)

@TinoMK wrote:

Hi 

The USB device connection on the cRIO uses Ethernet Over USB.  When you plug it in, you should notice an IP address associated with the USB port.  I always use this for updating firmware, formatting the drive, setting the IP address of the Ethernet jack(s), loading software, etc.  The only issue I have ran into is when trying to use RAD to set the IP address.  Works fine in MAX though.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 26 of 30
(1,431 Views)

crossrulzTinoMK,

The USB-based network interface likely isn't going to help a situation where the NIAuth database has been damaged (a likely cause of being unable to login over ssh, also indicated in the issues connecting to the target using MAX). Regardless, it's simply another way to access the controller over the network, so unless there's a network issue at play here, this won't help (considering that TinoMK is able to see the login prompt and the failure on login attempt, I would expect that this is not the case)

TinoMK

What is the use-case you have for FTP? If you need FTP (and there's not a viable alternative that's more secure), you (and your IT dept) may want to evaluate keeping Windows machines off of the network with the Compact RIO controllers (at least separate the internal network from personal machines).

Moving on, I think that you may need to take the nuclear option: contact NI support and they can provide you with materials and instruction on how to perform a factory reset. This will result in loss of all saved data on the controller.

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 30
(1,413 Views)

Hi all,

• We tried to connect to the CRIO by using USB cable with USB LAN adapter. Please see the attached image. The driver is seeing the cRIO BUT it is not shown under the Remote Systems. Also we tried by adding the cRIO as VISA resource manually but no success.

• We tried to reset the network settings using the Reset button (2 x press > 5s) as per the user manual. The network cannot be reset.
  • We are able to see the cRIO via Network Browser using the USBLAN  on different IP address (the one from the USBLAN driver) but that address has same behaviour as the one form the physical LAN (SSH cannot login, no MAX, no Control Panel)

These are the questions I have:

• Is it possible to do a Format of the cRIO by using USB flash device connected to the USB port of the cRIO?
  • Is it possible to install some additional NI application  that can do format via the USB LAN or Ethernet?
  • Any other ideas?

Thank you very much,

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 30
(1,403 Views)

@TinoMK wrote:

Hi all,

• We tried to connect to the CRIO by using USB cable with USB LAN adapter. Please see the attached image. The driver is seeing the cRIO BUT it is not shown under the Remote Systems. Also we tried by adding the cRIO as VISA resource manually but no success.

• We are able to see the cRIO via Network Browser using the USBLAN  on different IP address (the one from the USBLAN driver) but that address has same behaviour as the one form the physical LAN (SSH cannot login, no MAX, no Control Panel)

This is what I expected:

BradM wrote:

The USB-based network interface likely isn't going to help a situation where the NIAuth database has been damaged (a likely cause of being unable to login over ssh, also indicated in the issues connecting to the target using MAX). Regardless, it's simply another way to access the controller over the network, so unless there's a network issue at play here, this won't help (considering that TinoMK is able to see the login prompt and the failure on login attempt, I would expect that this is not the case)

@TinoMK wrote:

These are the questions I have:

• Is it possible to do a Format of the cRIO by using USB flash device connected to the USB port of the cRIO?
  • Is it possible to install some additional NI application  that can do format via the USB LAN or Ethernet?
  • Any other ideas?

Thank you very much,

BradM wrote:

[C]ontact NI support and they can provide you with materials and instruction on how to perform a factory reset. This will result in loss of all saved data on the controller.

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 30
(1,398 Views)

Thank you BradM,

I will contact NI supoport and see how ti goes.

Thanks again,

0 Kudos
Message 30 of 30
(1,396 Views)